Re: Frozen car door lock

"Michael Pardee" wrote in news:c92dnXZhULkOvM3UnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@sedona.net:

. >> Any way to fix a car door lock that gets frozen easily? My 97 Accord >> has had problems with the driver side door lock the last 2 winters. >> Last year, there were days when I had to turn the key several times >> to get the door to unlock. This year seems to be worse. This >> morning, the door wouldn't unlock at all. Had to unlock the >> passenger side and then I could unlock the driver side from the >> inside. >> >> Last time I went to the dealer for maintenance, I mentioned the >> problem to them, but they didn't see anything wrong. They lubed the >> locks though, but that obviously isn't the solution. Something must >> be wrong, as the car went thru its first 10 winters without ever >> having this problem. >> > > Elle and TeGGer have good recommendations. Especially note TeGGer's > warning about WD-40... it works great for a season but gradually > becomes a stubborn gum that nothing seems to remove.

When I sad WD-40 "reeks", I meant it REEKS.

It STINKS.

It SMELLS BAD.

Surely they could have made the stuff smell less like an oil well?

> The dealer doesn't seem to have a good handle on your problem. I think > a locksmith would fix it on the first try.

Don't need that. Some very light aerosol oil is all that's needed, provided the weather flap still closes. And even if the flap is broken the oil still works, you just have to refresh it more often.

In Canada you can buy a substance called "Rust Check". Works absolute miracles on locks. Any kind of graphite is a bad idea when water is involved.

Reply to
Tegger