Re: G M is still number one in 2006

You can believe whatever you chose. The industry wide fleet discount averages around $600 if one buys more than five. There are additional discounts available to governments fleets that buy hundreds but generally
they are no more than an addition $600. Many of the rebates offered to individuals, by domestics and imports, are far greater than $1,200. In any event the sale must go through a dealership no matter what you believe.
Ford, in the late nineties, bought back some of its franchises from the older, smaller, 'mom and pop' dealerships to build big stores to operate as company owed stores, in competition with franchised dealerships. The Nation Ford Dealer Council, of which our group was a member, stated franchise infringement litigation. The court issued a cease and desist order and instructed Ford to divest themselves of the stores
mike hunt

On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 16:26:13 -0400, "Mike Hunter"

I don't care whether they go through a dealership or not. The bottom line is that GM and Ford are getting a lot less money off fleet sales. All the knowledgeable sources which I posted (and which you conveniently clipped) agreed on this point. you so make a point that they are also heavily discounting retail sales as well. Bottom line is that no one will by the cars unless they are sold for less than the total cost of production. Hence GM's predicament.