Re: Honda Odyssey 2001 EX or get the Honda Odyssey 2002 EX?

I was in a similar situation. Toss up between a 2001 and 2002. The 5 speed tranny, increase HP, shorter stopping distance, the use of regular unleaded gas.
The '01 according to Honda was designed to run on premium fuel. Yes you can use regular, but at what cost to your motor? The tranny problem in '02 was listed as a recall. Honda will repair for free. I went with the '02. It had 37K and I paid $16500. Definitely take the Honda Care extended warranty. It goes to 100K and covers for 7 years from the date of the first registration. Paid $1460. Bumper to bumper. Good Luck!
--
Rich5328

On 2/15/2006 7:39 PM Rich5328 spake these words of knowledge:

tranny, increase HP, shorter stopping distance, the use of regular unleaded gas. The '01 according to Honda was designed to run on premium fuel. Yes you can use regular, but at what cost to your motor? The tranny problem in '02 was listed as a recall. Honda will repair for free. I went with the '02. It had 37K and I paid $16500. Definitely take the Honda Care extended warranty. It goes to 100K and covers for 7 years from the date of the first registration. Paid $1460. Bumper to bumper. Good Luck!

The 2001 Odyssey was definitely not designed to run on premium; the motor is essentially identical to that in the 1888 and 2000 models. It was billed as able to obtain roughly 5 additional horsepower from premium fuel (210 vs. 205). I have never put premium fuel in it.
I bought one new in October of 2000, and paid $850 for the 7yr, 100000 Hondacare mile warranty, primarily because of the high cost of the motors in the doors. I think it saved me some money, but what I got out of it was primarily peace of mind. My Odyssey now has 104000 miles on it, and has been almost completely trouble-free. There was some intermittent trouble with the A/C, but that's been about it.
RFT!!! Dave Kelsen
--
Dying is no excuse. Nixon in 2008.

According to the owner's manual, at no cost to your motor. Only to your horsepower rating.
Premium gas isn't "better" gas.