Re: ILX - any comments?

Page 2 of 2
On 08/02/2012 12:25 AM, cameo wrote:

good analogy!
--
fact check required

You didn't address the fact that the CVT is offered with paddle shifters. If the shift points are invisible, what is a shifter for & why is it offered?
"Elmo P. Shagnasty" wrote in message wrote:

wow...after all the time engineers have spent smoothing out the shift points, almost to the point of invisibility.
I'm curious what shift-point-feel does for you, given that you're using an automatic transmission. Why not just get a manual transmission?
On 8/3/2012 11:07 AM, Scott W wrote:

Some better than others, but haven't eliminated hysteresis, unfortunately.

Yup.

that's why I stay away from automatics. even in traffic backups,I prefer stick shift. there's too much to go wrong with automatics. and they're BORING...
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
On 8/5/2012 9:01 AM, Jim Yanik wrote:

Manuals are great till you hurt one of your feet.
"cameo" wrote

Or just find, at my age, that "enough is enough." ;-) I'm no longer an "enthusiast"; I like my comfort-ride.
On Sun, 5 Aug 2012 17:28:00 -0400, "Howard Lester"

Yah. :)
And with new cars they tend to rate the autos higher on mileage.
Mostly, you just can't get an Accord with a manual, at all on most models, or not with any variety even when they are theoretically offered. I suppose I could try ordering one to spec, I have no idea if Honda even supports that or how long it would take or if I could talk the dealer into a good price on the deal.
Apparently on the ILX when you get the 2.4 engine it *only* comes with a stick.
But geez, the reviews I'm seeing on the ILX are all pretty blah, or worse.
J.

Just like when you get a Civic Si it comes *only* with a stick.
Because they're the same car.
On Sun, 05 Aug 2012 20:50:34 -0400, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"

Aha.
The ILX begs for the turbo four from the RDX or whatever it is, or better yet the screamer from the S2000. The Accord 2.4 is no engine for a sports car, not for the Si either.
Also a reworked suspension and a reworked cabin for better visibility, for starters. And whatever else the list is for the base Civics.
J.

You can put lipstick on a pig, and you can put the Acura symbol on a Civic...
"JRStern" wrote

I read the 2013 Accords will have a manual [transmission!] available. Geez, when I first read "you just can't get an Accord with a manual," I thought you were referring to the manual that comes in the glove box...

Accord has always had a manual trans available.
"Elmo P. Shagnasty" wrote

Ah yes, and looking at the Honda site I see that that is in the LX and EX, only. Somewhere I'd read people stinking about no manual transmissions available anymore in Accords... thus my previous comment. Wrong again. ;-)
"Howard Lester" wrote

I should clarify: Only LX and EX offer manuals. LX-P, SE, and any of the EX-L or EX V6's offer automatics only.
On Tue, 7 Aug 2012 12:29:08 -0400, "Howard Lester"

Typical dealer in Los Angeles will have 0 or 1 actually in stock, out of dozens. I think last time I bought there were maybe 2 within a fifty miles radius, including what, twenty dealerships?
So "available" is what you make of it.
J.
On 8/5/2012 2:28 PM, Howard Lester wrote:

Me too. Comfort ride and comfort food.
On 8/6/2012 12:57 AM, cameo wrote:

Only in ponderous stop & go traffic.