Re: Lazy owners who don't read their owner's manuals get what they deserve

wrote:

Well, yes, but there are some clever maintenance advisers out there. I took my wife's Jeep into a dealer, in Dallas, with the maintenance manual in hand, to do an oil and filter change, and check something. He showed me where there was a "A" and a "B" service, and one was for dusty conditions and should be done because this was Texas. Well, Dallas is hardly the wild west - it's a big city, so I changed to a local shop.
Also in California I took my wife's Jeep in for the 60K service, book in hand, and the shark pulled out a big plastic covered list of what he said was "what we do for the 60K service. It had replacing every fluid in the car. I asked him if I got a blood transfusion with that, and I left there, never to come back.
We now have a 2010 Honda Pilot Touring (to get this on subject) with the countdown to oil change meter reading about 20% so I am about to take it in to the dealer from which we bought the car (through a buying service) and see if they recognize their own maintenance manual. That's the real problem. They know what has to be done, they just add on things that the owner doesn't know about, but usually relents thinking they must know something that he, and the manual, does not know.

My Honda dealer also had their own scheduled maintenance to-do list that included much more items than what was in the owner's manual. They also told me almost every time that my wheels needed realignment ("You must have hit some curbs or bumps.") Eventually I got tired of it and switched to an independent shop that does not play that game.

When I call to set my appointment, I ask them to list each specific task included in their service package and how much each costs. Then I ask them what's the minimum service required to maintain the warranty. Most of the time, they realize that I'm hip to the game and give me the straight dope. If not, it's pretty easy to tell when they're trying to game me.
I prefer to do it by phone, because if I suspect they're not being straight with me, I just hang up without making an appointment. Then I do some research and call back once I've decided exactly what I want done to my car. Another advantage hashing this out over the phone (rather than when you arrive in person) is that I usually get another service rep when I call back and don't have to deal with the first one who was trying to game me.

Information is readily available to everyone, and many places will always try to maximize revenue.....Caveat emptor.