Re: Max velocity for 2001 Accord EX coupe

We recently bought a 2001 Accord EX couple 2-door with 3.0L V6 and

> automatic transmission, with 36K miles. Not wanting to find out for > myself, I was wondering if anyone knows the maximum speed of this > vehicle? Just scientifcally curious. Thanks.

The speed limit is indicated on the freeway/roads you drive, no matter what car you drive

Reply to
Ron

I seem to recall that the maximum speed is 130 mph. It has some sort of device that prevents it from going any faster. One tech expert in this newsgroup once told me that it was to save Honda money related to repairing or replacing engines during the warranty period. Various other car companies do this same thing expect on the cars that are undergoing tests.

Reply to
Jason

Great answer, but totally irrelevant to what he is asking!

Reply to
I'm_a_dreamer

It'll be rev limited to keep the engine from self-destructing. I've hit the rev-limited fuel cutoff before in some of my cars. However - I believe max top speed will be power limited. It won't be able to reach redline in top-gear. There might also be a speed cutoff, but I don't think it can be reached in a stock car on level pavement.

The following review says a top speed of 125 MPH:

Reply to
y_p_w

I meant the other guy who said 'the top speed is the speed limit on the road you are driving on'.

Reply to
I'm_a_dreamer

If the limit is indeed 130 mph, that is coincidentally the maximum speed rating for H-rated tires, so I'll bet that's why the limit is set at that speed.

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

I had a 1998 Accord LX (4-cyl) coupe that I once had up to 144MPH on an open, straight stretch of "middle-of-nowhere" interstate. I doubt the actual speed was that high due to the innacuracies of the speedometer. I estimate the actual speed was probably in the 130's, but I never felt any sort of electronic or mechanical speed limitation. It just gradually slowed accelleration until it wouldn't accellerate any more. The wind resistance was just too great. I imagine the V6 might have enough power to get a little faster.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Foster

Jeff, I trust your word. However, I made a trip to Las Vegas last year. While on the road that goes thru the Mojave dessert--I was able to get the speed of my 1999 Accord (4 cyld) up to 130 mph. It would not go any faster despite the fact that I was going down a hill. I later done some research and found out that my car has a built in device (governor) that prevents the car from going faster than 130 mph. It's possible the governor on your V6 is set at 135 mph. Honda and other companies do this so that they don't have to replace engines during the warranty period. It's possible that the governor on Jeff's car is not working or someone disconnected it. Jeff--did you buy a new or used car? If it was a used car--the prior owner might have disconnected the governor.

Reply to
Jason