Re: NEVER BUY WALMART'S BATTERIES OR YOU WILL BE SORRY

Page 2 of 7
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

There is a huge difference between driving while impaired and being overly aggressive in traffic.
A drunk driver (repeat offender, hereafter referred to as buttwipe) hit a telephone pole. When the wire crossed (the high-voltage wires (I think around 11,000 V) crossed the low voltage wires (110 V), things didn't go well for two of the houses that were normally fed 110 V lines. The wiring for both houses had to be totally redone. And one of the houses caught fire, resulting in much loss. The buttwipe didn't got little or no jail time. He disrupted the lives of two families, one for many months.
Jeff

True, but in all cases, one of two things is true:
1) Driver knows the risks, but takes them anyway. That's intent. Too bad the law doesn't define it that way. 2) Driver does NOT know or acknowledge the risks, in which case, it never should've gotten a license to drive. That's the government's fault. Unfortunately, 90% of drivers fall into this category. My son, who's been driving for about 2 years, says the number's more like 95%. He's probably right.

That's nothing. Back in the late 1970s, a friend of mine, a highway cop, was writing a ticket and got hit by a drunk driver. Actually hit , then snagged. The cop's belt became entangled somehow on the car's bumper and he was dragged for a couple of miles until a bunch of people with CB radios rounded him up in a parking lot. It was definitely a closed casket funeral. The murderer was sentenced to community service, working in a hospital ER, if I recall.
On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 12:43:48 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

Agreed.
The person who said the following needs to be put in jail for a LONG time for driving under the influence!
I used to commute from Riverhead to Great Neck. There was a coffee truck at most exits, and stopping for 20 minutes to shmooze with people was a real social event. And, we really didn't lose much progress by stopping, since we only would've travelled about 2 miles in that time. I got to know the cops pretty well because listening to them on the CB was a way of testing our installations.
They were truly bored, though. One day, I started razzing one of them about how he must be getting moldy sitting in his car praying for something interesting to happen. So, I told him that if he could bust me for ANYTHING, I'd buy him a cup of coffee every day for a month. There was the occasional joint in my car, but other than that, what could I do? Change lanes without signalling? There was so much traffic that there was no way they could get near you. If you needed a tow truck, two birthdays would go by before it got there.
Two months passed. One day, this cop was at our store getting some work done on his CB. At closing time, me and two other guys jumped in my car to vanish into a nearby neighborhood and partake of one of mother nature's leafy treats before heading back to the store to get our individual cars. Out of nowhere comes this cop. We didn't even have time to open the windows and air out the car. He walks up to the car and says "You didn't signal when you pulled out of the parking lot. Black, sugar, no cream, see ya at exit 48, 7:15 AM every day, wise guy. And by the way (he leans into the car and sniffs), burning leaves is illegal around here, Clean air laws, ya know?" Walks away laughing his ass off.
Un Quote
--
Scott in Florida

You may be right, Sot. I wonder why the cop didn't arrest me.
dgk wrote:

While agree that things should be called correctly, e.g., motor vehicle crashes, I don't see that this would change things much. It does help change attitudes that crashes are accident, which implies they can't be prevented or helped.
I don't know what is the appropriate penalty in a crash where people are killed. It depends on the circumstances.
Jeff
"dgk" < , "Wickeddoll" wrote:

Some are accidents, but there is the charge of vehicular homicide.
Natalie
Geoff Miller wrote:

I am a bleeding heart liberal, but I agree with you on this subject. I have done R&D on Driver distraction for the past 10 years and have reached the same conclusion for car crashes. Each year in the US there are approx 43,000 deaths and about 3,000,000 reported crashes. M'gawd the sky is falling and we must do something about this overwhelming problem!!!
But let's take a look at the HUGH total of miles driven or hours on the road for ALL the drivers. The % is something like 1 crash /10000 hours of driving or .00001%. Every driver considers him/herself a superior driver, and probably should, because they have VERY few crashes over their lifetime of driving. No matter how much we improve the safety of the car ($) or the roads ($$$) or the infrastructure ($$$$$$) there will always be a very small percentage of crashes due to distraction or drinking or mere wrong place, wrong time circumstances.
Yes, when there are crashes they are horrendous, the victims are in need of emergency help, and it makes the evening news, but consider the vast majority that are home safely and watching the evening news.
I do think that repeat traffic offenders that have much higher than average crashes should be denied any access to drivable cars, however.
Chip
My suggestion is ... whether in a car, or on a bike, or motorcycle,or even walking.. to wear a custom helmet made from a walmart battery. Simply cut open the top of the battery with your exacto knife or shrub trimmer and dump the contents and top out. Attach a strap to the bottom box shell, and place on head. Always wear your helmet!
"Chip" <...

I guess my biggest point is, that if you DO have the accident, your chances of survival/less injury is way better with helmets and seatbelts.
Natalie
said:

I'd sure love to see the source for that information..!

"A lack of common sense is now considered a disability,
On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 19:36:47 GMT, Larry in AZ

According to this:
<http://www.contingencies.org/julaug05/0705wizards.asp
He's a little off, but 1 in 88 is still significant.
Waiving the right to remain silent, "Bonehenge (B A R R Y)"

He's more than a "little" off. Closer to a factor of 2x...

"A lack of common sense is now considered a disability,
Bonehenge (B A R R Y) wrote:

I'd also like to see the original data. He doesn't cite it. Very bad and doesn't allow anyone to check his numbers.
AND that is not what the article says. It says that any given person has a 1 in 88 chance of dying due to a car crash, not that 1 in 88 people will die in a car crash. BIG difference. In any given year there are about 43000 deaths from car crashes in the US. There are 190,625,023 (data from 2000)licensed drivers in the US. You do the math. Hint- about .0002%
Read an article headed- "Cellphone dangerous for young drivers, especially those with ADHD". Seems he found an old 1997 study long discredited for bad science on cellphones and driving crashes. Remember the size of the 1995 (when the data was collected)cellphones- the Brick. Then he found another study that showed that "Youths with ADHD had 4X as many accidents as those without" THEN he combined these two studies that didn't have anything to do with each other and came to the conclusion that youthful drivers with ADHD who use a cell phone were especially dangerous. Maybe, but there has NEVER been a study to test that.
Chip
On 10/19/2007 7:52 PM Chip spake these words of knowledge:

First, when the original article states that any given person has a 1 in 88 chance of dying due to a car crash, it does mean, specifically, that 1 in 88 people will die due to a car crash. No difference, when you are talking about statistical probabilities.
.0002 is (roughly) the ratio. Expressed as a percentage, the figure is 100 times that size - .02255%, in fact. You made the most common error when trying to express your figure as a percentage. More to the point, your number represents a per annum figure rather than an estimate over the average lifetime of the average driver; for example, if the average driver drives for an average of 40 years, and we posited that the ratio of deaths to the number of drivers did not significantly change, you would multiply that single annual figure by 40 to get the number representing what any given person's lifetime chance of dying in a car crash is. In my example, that number is .90229% - very nearly 1%, or 1 out of 100. If the average driver drove 50 years, the percentage is 1.1278; the chance of dying is 1 out of 88.66.
I'm not trying to argue the originator's point, only fix your math misperceptions.
RFT!!! Dave Kelsen
--
Brian Kernighan wrote, "Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code
in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as
said:

Nope, can't be. If so, it would mean that 3,409,090 would die in car crashes.

"A lack of common sense is now considered a disability,
On 10/20/2007 2:56 PM Larry in AZ spake these words of knowledge:

Let me say this again; try reading it slowly. It's not per annum; it's lifetime. At 43 thousand a year, your number of deaths would happen in under 80 years. (Even for your usage, your number is wrong, because it's based on the entire population rather than the driving population. But it would still happen.)
Rather than say, "Nope, can't be", perhaps you will provide some basis for why it can't be.
(Hint: you need a basic understanding of mathematics to participate meaningfully in the discussion.)
RFT!!! Dave Kelsen
--
"Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact,
every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a god;

Good luck with that expectation, Dave.
How often have you heard this? (Paraphrased and interpreted) "Iraq ain't so bad. More people are killed in traffic accidents every year".
Pass the ammo.
said:

If I'm thinking per annum, then perhaps I'm wrong. You're also wrong assuming it's based on the driving population. The article talks about an American's chances of dying due to the charted reasons. It never says "licensed" or "driving" population. IOW, it's based on the entire population, as are the rest of the listed causes of death.
Read it again yourself.
Happy motoring...

"A lack of common sense is now considered a disability,
43,000 or so have died annually in auto related accidents in 2005 and 2006, you do the math.
Here is a more alarming static. Far more young men, between the ages of 18 and 25, have been murdered in US cities, then have been killed in our war with the radical Islamic terrorist around the world, since 9/11 2001
mike

Sorry to disappoint, but it was something I found online two years ago when I was doing fatal accident statistic research for another reason - electrocution, actually. I no longer have the source. It was based on fatal accidents per mile driven -- obviously a low number -- and then superimposed on the average driver's lifetime mileage.
I did not do the math, so if there was an error in math or logic, it was not mine. The actual figure, I'm certain, was 1.8%. That is, as I said, "approximately" one in fifty. More closely, one in 56.
I applaud you for asking for the citation. I'm not going to argue the point, so feel free to disbelieve.