Re: NEVER BUY WALMART'S BATTERIES OR YOU WILL BE SORRY

Page 3 of 7
On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 22:52:01 -0400, "Wickeddoll"

Oh (diety of your choice). I have to put up with a helmet war in a non-bike newsgroup?
I'll give one of the con side arguments, although I do often commute by bike (15 miles each way) and do wear a helmet.
Folks, because of various factors like coolness and hair styles, do not like wearing helmets so they don't ride a bike. Also, the need to wear a helmet reinforces the idea that biking is dangerous. Therefore, less people bike than would otherwise. Because one of the greatest factors in improving bike safety is to increase the number of cyclists, wearing helmets makes biking less safe.
So be careful of using anecdotal evidence. If more folks were biking and not wearing helmets, you might actually see less split heads over the weekend.
"dgk" .

That is without a doubt the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen regarding this subject.
Biking IS more dangerous, but not due to the activity itself, but the actions of others. Fact is, if a car hits you on the bike/motorcycle, you are more likely to have fatal injuries than the person driving the car.

Statistics back me up, so your argument does not stand.
Natalie

I still use a helmet. But, there was a study done in England which showed that motorists gave more room to bikers who were NOT wearing helmets. Dumb, but true.
"JoeSpareBedroom" ...

As I said, your life is in the hands of *others* - best to protect yourself as much as possible.
And before someone says it, I know most car/bike accidents are caused by the car driver, but, as an old Florida Highway Patrol public service ad put it - "You may be in the right. *Dead* right."
Natalie

Frankly, I don't bike much, due to an incident near here a few years back. An old woman drove her car onto the curb and hit two girls around age 10-11. When I say "curb", I mean 6" high, new granite, and the girls were definitely NOT in the street. Luckily, a school bus driver witnessed it, and the girls survived without grievous injury.
The old woman left the scene, but turned herself in a day or two later. Her comment: She thought the girls were garbage cans, and until a family member heard about it on the news and put 2 & 2 together, she had no idea what she'd done.
Until I am allowed to pull my gun and terminate anyone who hits me when I'm biking, I'm no longer comfortable with doing it on public roads. There are no accidents.
On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 18:22:19 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

So you think people that drive impaired should be shot?
Then this would be one!
I used to commute from Riverhead to Great Neck. There was a coffee truck at most exits, and stopping for 20 minutes to shmooze with people was a real social event. And, we really didn't lose much progress by stopping, since we only would've travelled about 2 miles in that time. I got to know the cops pretty well because listening to them on the CB was a way of testing our installations.
They were truly bored, though. One day, I started razzing one of them about how he must be getting moldy sitting in his car praying for something interesting to happen. So, I told him that if he could bust me for ANYTHING, I'd buy him a cup of coffee every day for a month. There was the occasional joint in my car, but other than that, what could I do? Change lanes without signalling? There was so much traffic that there was no way they could get near you. If you needed a tow truck, two birthdays would go by before it got there.
Two months passed. One day, this cop was at our store getting some work done on his CB. At closing time, me and two other guys jumped in my car to vanish into a nearby neighborhood and partake of one of mother nature's leafy treats before heading back to the store to get our individual cars. Out of nowhere comes this cop. We didn't even have time to open the windows and air out the car. He walks up to the car and says "You didn't signal when you pulled out of the parking lot. Black, sugar, no cream, see ya at exit 48, 7:15 AM every day, wise guy. And by the way (he leans into the car and sniffs), burning leaves is illegal around here, Clean air laws, ya know?" Walks away laughing his ass off.
/un quote
--
Scott in Florida

On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 12:29:53 -0400, "Wickeddoll"

There is no question that wearing a helmet (and wearing it CORRECTLY) is of great use if you fall on your head. I often see people wearing helmets that would clearly fall off as soon as they hit the brakes hard.
It is a fact that biking is safer when more people are biking. It is a fact that more people would bike if they weren't scared shitless by, among other things, the helmet manufacturers. So, it is possible that removing the scare tactics of the helmet lobby would encourage more prople to bike. It is actually far safer than many other activities.
Here, look at some numbers:
http://www.bicyclinglife.com/SafetySkills/SafetyQuiz.htm
Where are the statistics that back you up? Some of these might:
http://www.helmets.org/stats.htm
That is, of course, a pro-helmet organization, likely funded by such. The problem is that incidents involving bikes/helmets are rarely accurately reported, so we really know very little. Two popular studies showing how effective helmets are were found to be less than well researched.
One thing that would greatly enhance biking safety is forcing a delay in car door opening. Rather than just swing right out, it should take a few seconds to open all the way. That would give me time to skirt around the morons who just fling the door open. A boy died just two weeks ago when some asshole did that and knocked him into traffic.
She wasn't charged with manslaugher but she should have been. A few more people heading off to jail for 10 years would teach the lesson pretty well. Less consideration of intent and more on effect.
Remember now, I'm wearing a helmet. It fits right, and I have a nice red blinky on the back of it. In fact, as it gets darker during my commute, the bike starts looking like an ambulance. The helmet also does a good job keeping my head warm during the cold months. And, no, the human body does not lose 90% of its heat through the head:
http://wildernessmedicinenewsletter.wordpress.com/2007/02/14/heat-loss-through-the-head-and-hypothermia /
However, because the blood in the head is keeping the brain working well, a helmet in winter is smart because it can keep you more alert.
"dgk" , "Wickeddoll" wrote:

Good point - it's like driving around without your seat belt, thinking your air bags are all you need.

Probably because if lots of folks are biking, then the drivers in that area will be more alert?

You have to talk all polls, etc. with a grain of salt, but I'm telling you - every helmet-less bike/motorcycle rider who wasn't absolutely mowed down suffered terrible head injuries that could have been prevented with a (properly worn) helmet.

I don't agree. The kid should have been watching the cars. I *do* take my time and look around before opening a door on the street, but not because of bikers - because of other cars possibly taking off my door.

http://wildernessmedicinenewsletter.wordpress.com/2007/02/14/heat-loss-through-the-head-and-hypothermia /
I knew better than that head heat thing (benefit of medical training), but you'll never convince me that a helmet shouldn't always be worn.
Natalie

Uh oh. I think you're wonderful, but your car maintenance questions make it clear that you are not very observant at times. Therefore, you don't realize that a car door could open suddenly enough to mess up even a very careful biker.
"JoeSpareBedroom" <...

wouldn't notice until it was steel against steel. I'm no car expert, I admit, but that car gets all the maintenance it requires (usually earlier than the sticker says).
Sure the car door can fly open, but how fast do you have to be going to be fatally injured? I would think pretty fast.
Natalie

Not really. I could show you how to break someone's neck with one hand, without spilling your wine in the other hand. Doesn't take much.
On Sat, 20 Oct 2007 00:42:49 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

ROFLMAO....
You ARE smokin dope tonight...
--
Scott in Florida

"Scott in Florida" "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote:

Gotta go with Scott, and call bullshit on that one...
You've been watching too many Bond movies.
:-)
Natalie

Not really, dear heart. You don't know where I've been or what I've learned.
"JoeSpareBedroom" ...

usually tell anyone they do it.
But of course, that's an anecdotal experience of mine.
:-)
Natalie

In any case, it doesn't involve heavy mental lifting to understand that a 90 lb person going head first over an obstacle at 10-20 mph will exert more than enough force to break his or her own neck if that's how the fall occurs. And, at those speeds, a collision with a car door can certainly damage internal organs.
"JoeSpareBedroom" ...

victim of a freak accident, rather than an easily predictable occurrence.
Natalie

Unlikely? I'll bet you won't try this tomorrow: Go to a parking lot. Get your car going 20 mph, then put every ounce of your energy into slamming on the brakes. Use both feet. Come back & tell us how it felt. Better yet, have hubby cut a piece of wood that covers the steering wheel. Hold that there when you hit the brakes. Make sure your glasses are off.
"JoeSpareBedroom" ...

A controlled experiment doesn't count as a viable statistics. That's like saying, "I think I'll go jump off the roof to see if I break any bones."
I'm talking odds, not cause and effect.
Natalie
Folks, please use your text editors to delete all but the most strictly relevant quoted text from your followups, okay? The idea isn't to include the whole thread in its entirety in each and every post.
This thing of having to scroll through two or three screensful of quoted material in order to get to what the current poster is saying is absurd. Like dimming your high beams in the face of oncoming traffic, it's something that, one would think, nobody would need to be told about, because it affects them too.
Geoff
-- "If it rains after a liberal washes his car, they say it's a right-wing dirty trick." -- Ann Coulter