Re: NEVER BUY WALMART'S BATTERIES OR YOU WILL BE SORRY

Page 1 of 2
"Tom" ...

*snipped for brevity*
I had my oil cap come flying off while I was driving. Naturally, the car screeched terribly until I could pull over. I called them, and made the mechanics *come out and put some oil into the car*, and put the cap back on, so that I could drive back to have them get it *right* this time. They didn't even offer me any compensation (next time free or something)
I've taken my car to the dealer for oil changes ever since.
Natalie
had my oil cap come flying off while I was driving. Naturally, the car

There have been people who posted on this forum their experience at a dealer where they forgot to put the oil in the car (the mechanic had a long list of things that needed to be done).
If I cannot change my own oil, I always get my oil changed at a place where I can watch them do it. But I avoid the large national chain quick lubes like Jiffy Lube in favor of smaller chains that are locally owned (franchised).
"Mark A" ...

We don't really have a facility that can accommodate changing oil. We'd be charged for any stain on the concrete, for one.
It's just not worth the hassle to save the small amount of money, in our opinion.
Natalie
On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 17:40:22 -0400, "Wickeddoll"

The last time I used Spiffy Lube was because I had a broken foot and couldn't do it myself - and the only car that was running that had an Automatic was my old Corvair - everything else in the house was Stick.
I had to stand there (on crutches) and walk them through the entire process. Totally clueless - The "Manager" was barely shaving, and the other workers were fresh out of Junior High.
I brought an AC filter, I knew they wouldn't have one. The computer didn't have a procedure for "vintage cars" and they had to ask how much oil it took, which was the right drain plug, how to get the filter out without making a mess... (They still did, the "plastic bag over the filter trick" takes practice to pull off.)
About the only thing they *didn't* do was open up the trunk and go "Where the hell is the engine??" But I did have to open the trunk and show them where the Master Cylinder fill cap was...

If you are renting an apartment, you're stuck - unless the landlord is a gearhead, then he'll understand and set aside a maintenance area. With a strict "Clean up your mess when you're done" policy.
--<< Bruce >>--

I avoid those also. My 04 Sienna has been serviced only by the dealer I bought it from. I have been very pleased with their work.

Why make that distinction? The employees are drawn from the same local manpower pool, whether a place is part of a franchise or locally owned. And the likelihood of poor management/oversight is the same, one would think. (Why would the manager of a Jiffy Lube be any less motivated than the manager of a locally-owned shop?)
I stopped going to *any* oil change place after the "mechanic" at one of them failed to tighten my oil drain plug completely, and most of the oil drained out onto my driveway overnight. Either I do it myself, or I get my (independent) mechanic to do it.
Geoff
-- "Is it true that Dorothy Parker named her pet parakeet Onan because he kept spilling his seed upon the ground?"                 -- David Mikkelson

If you find a oil change place where the local owner has only one or two locations (whether part of large chain or not) then the local manager probably has an ownership interest and cares about the reputation of his business.
I have seen the same complaints posted about dealer oil changes just like the quick lube places. The key is to be able to watch them. That eliminates about 95% of the possible mistakes (failure to put in oil, failure to put on cap, use wrong oil, failure to change filter, etc).
writes:

Corporate pressure from above will have the Jiffy Lube mgr. more likely to rip you off.

I hardly think a profit motive is unique to those evil corporations.
Geoff
-- "Is it true that Dorothy Parker named her pet parakeet Onan because he kept spilling his seed upon the ground?"                 -- David Mikkelson
writes:

Profit is good, but Jiffy Lube is famous for making stealing into an art form, at least in one market area. Watch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiCAJ8ULnaI

holy crap. thanks for that sobering link.
writes:

Yeah...and my mechanic wonders why I want to commission a statue in his honor.
On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 13:49:14 GMT, "JoeSpareBedroom"

Ahh, the KNBC Sting of Jiffy Lube Et. Al. - but the sad part is, KNBC has done this same investigation several times before and caught the same crooks doing the same things, and the Corporate Spokesperson for the service chains say they are going to clean up their act and make sure it never happens again.
A year later they run the same sting and get the same results, nothing has changed...
Several of these chains have tried the same thing on 'Bait Cars" and the sting is being conducted by the California Bureau of Automotive Repair. And they get a big fine and their operating licenses on probation, and again they go back to 'business as usual' when it's over. Sears damn near lost their licenses several times.
--<< Bruce >>--
writes:

Someday, one of these repair places will pull the same stunt on the wrong person and...
writes:

So Bruce will you call me a crook after I doubled the MPG of my Mercedes and Infiniti ? You see, you people like to call every one crook, you made me afraid of dealing with the hassle, that's why I never bother to market my invention. I profit from my idea every day for two years now. America is just too picky, making their complaint when they were not supposed to, and didn't make the proper complaint when they were supposed to.
Tom

Would this be some latter-day, fuel-injection equivalent of the Fish carburetor?
Yeah, I know: it's a conspiracy of Big Oil. If it weren't for their interference, you'd cure cancer, solve all the world's energy problems, eliminate war, famine and pestilence, and put paid to morning sphincter breath and the Heartbreak Of Psoriasis(tm).
Geoff
-- "If it rains after a liberal washes his car, they say it's a right-wing dirty trick." -- Ann Coulter
writes:

Oh, how spot on you are Geoff. I get so sick and tired of the liberal's whines and rants about the fault of "Big Oil", "Big Steel", "Big Automotive", "Big Government" (of course, this one only applies when Conservatives are the government. Totally different when it is a givernment of Big Liberals), ad nauseum! I wonder why you never hear them complain and blame "Big Labor", "Big Environmentalism", or "Big Liberalism". I guess the answer lies in their arrogance of they know what is best for us all because they are so much more cognizant, aware, and intelligent than the poor Conservatives (who are all rednecks, hillbillies, farmers, etc.). Got to get off this soap box. Sorry!
DaveD

: I hardly think a profit motive is unique to those evil corporations. : Geoff

Whoa! I stand edified. Thanks for posting that. It's a hell of an eye-opener.
I haven't been to a Jiffy Lube in several years. What I remember from one of my 3-4 visits was the service writer's trying to convince me to pay for a radiator flush because my car's coolant (which had recently been changed) was "thick." Riiight...
Geoff
-- "If it rains after a liberal washes his car, they say it's a right-wing dirty trick." -- Ann Coulter
writes:

No doubt that everyone wants to make a profit, but Jiffy Lube in the Los Angeles area takes it to an art form.
Truckdude wrote:

We had stopped using Jiffy Lube several years ago here in Phoenix because of their predatory tactics and sloppy servicing. Found a dependable place, but that went out of business a couple of months ago. My wife went back to Jiffy Lube because she knew where it was. Got a bill for $115 for an OIL change and some MINOR things they sold her on.
BTW, they checked off that they did all the liquid levels, but low coolant level triggered my car computer less than a week later.
Bah! I am NEVER using them again.
Chip