Re: Now here's a cool car

On 4/11/10 10:25 AM, in article jcOdnX2Be9FOdVzWnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com, "Grumpy AuContraire"

To be totally correct about it, Bell labs invented the transistor, Geophysical Systems Inc. bought the rights to manufacture it from Bell labs and renamed the company from GSI to Texas Instruments. Now, whether or not Bell labs did the research with Govt. investment is a whole other question.

True. Jack Kilby has a Nobel prize for it.

E. Meyer wrote:

Good point.
Back a zillion or so years ago, I did a couple of contracts for the technical support (sub)contractor for the Safeguard R&D program on Kwajalein. The project management was by Bell Labs and later I learned that they were told that they had to do this because they were the only entity that was capable of such a complex program.
Imagine that... The guv'ment actually telling a business entity that they had to take a contract! And, it was up to Bell Labs to succeed with a minimum of interference which certainly is not the case today.
The plus side is that since AT&T was in charge, benefits were good even for us lowly subcontractors...
JT
On 04/11/10 21:59, Grumpy AuContraire wrote:

Ah, yes, the bad old days.
Tony Harding wrote:

You think that things are better today???
JT
On 04/23/10 20:37, Grumpy AuContraire wrote:

I was joking - in those "bad old days" workers got decent wages, benefits, some job security, etc. As opposed to the 21st century.
On 04/11/10 14:50, E. Meyer wrote:

Let's assume not and chalk it up to the private sector. IIRC this was done circa 1948, we need to focus more recently, not to mention someone mentioned the pharma companies.

Good for Jack!
I'm certain there are many beside me here who can quote massive mismanagement and waste in the private sector as well. Gummint has no monopoly on this sort of thing.

But mismanagment in the private sector is reflected in it's profits or lack of such,and the managers are responsible to their board of directors and stockholders.It tends to be self-correcting. Businesses that don't operate efficiently tend to go out of business,or get bought up by others who turn that business around or lose their investment.
Government is not that way,or at least has a FAR longer time for corrections to take effect,if at all.It's extremely inefficient,and that's a good thing,as long as gov't is kept small and unintrusive.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

Well, not always (when they get bailed out by the taxpayer).

Which is certainly the case these days. There is so much guv'ment intrusion on the private sector that true innovation is almost non-existent. In fact innovation has been replaced with the zeal to defeat the latest regulation with a new gimmick which in turn is in nobody's best interest.
<sigh>
JT
On 04/23/10 08:56, Jim Yanik wrote:

Pure horse excrement as far as the real world is concerned. You're basically citing a textbook description of the private sector. Are you familiar with ITT's philosophy? Or Citibank's CBS project (any other computer people here who worked on the CBS project in its long life?)?

Huh, the entire House is up for election every 2 years along with 1/3 of the Senate, and the Pres every 4. Modern corporate CEO's have no downside risk and take home tons of $$$ whether the company does well or not. Then there's always the golden parachute if the spam really hits the fan.
Speaking of "small and unintrusive (sic)", what would have the federal gov't do and what would have it not do?