Re: Plan on driving a new car on a 3000mile highway trip. Bad idea?

I was planning on taking my soon to take possession Highlander V6 on a

> trip which will consist mostly of highway driving of about 3000mile drive > and been told that that's not such a good idea because you don't want to > drive a brand new car on the highway for any extended amount if you can > help before the car's properly broken in. > > The seals, rings and the machine just needs to set in properly, which > happens during the break in period and before that, I was told you should > avoid any long highway trip. > > What do you guys think? If this was your car, would you do it or put off > the trip until after the car's broken in properly? Thanks.

I'm old-school. I drive a car 1500 miles and then do the first oil change. Then I do the next one at 3000 miles, and every 3-3500 after that.

I also had 3 cars go over 250,000 miles without burning oil.

Five-hundred miles is approx 8 hours. I would prbably go pretty easy for the first 1,000 miles, secondary roads and short stretches on the highway around cities. This will do two things; allow the machine to run at something other than wide open, and force variations in load and speed like the manual says to do.

It seems I can tell when a car was broken in properly or not. On cars I had had new, they don't tend to develop 'notches' at certain speeds. By this I mean, on cars other than ones I bought new, I can notice that the car seems to hit a stride ~45-50 MPH, and another ~70 MPH. What I assume is that the person that bought the car new had two driving modes: secondary roads (45 MPH) and highway (70 MPH). I have noticed this on a few used cars I have owned.

On cars I bought new and broke in properly, there weren't any 'notches', everything was fairly even across the range.

You will hit speeds and conditions on any car, no matter how it was broken in due to engine and mechanical efficiencies. On most 4 cylinder Toyotas I have owned, they seem to hit their stride 70~75 MPH, since I assume this is the engine's most efficient mode. I have noticed this on 4 or 5 Toyotas I have owned. Always got the best economy at about 72 MPH in 5th gear.

Of course, with newer cars and a V6, things are different now, but I would still take it pretty easy for the first 1500 miles, and stop and have the oil changed.

Reply to
Hachiroku

How do you know that the speeds that the cars were driven at had anything to do with these "strides"? And why would driving a car a particular speed cause this?

I think you don't know what you're talking about.

From the owner's manual for a 2008 Pilot:

"Help assure your vehicle?s future reliability and performance by paying extra attention to how you drive during the first 600 miles (1,000 km). During this period: Avoid full-throttle starts and rapid acceleration. Do not change the oil until the scheduled maintenance time. Avoid hard braking for the first

200 miles (300 km). Do not tow a trailer. You should also follow these recommendations with an overhauled or exchanged engine, or when the brakes are replaced."

Note what the manual says about the first oil change.

Reply to
Jeff

what??? read the manual??? no freakin' chance buddy! we're all going to have a retardation contest here on usenet and take the words of nameless idiots with our new multi-thousand dollar investments, not the experts that researched, designed and manufactured the freakin' thing!

imagine these guys in aerospace: "yeah, but this guy said those cracks didn't matter".

Reply to
jim beam

Some people develop superstitions, and live their lives by those.

Car owners are especially susceptible.

Go by your owner's manual. Things do change over time, and things that were appropriate back then don't apply now. But you'll never get over the superstition.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

snip

I think that this is great advice regardless of make of vehicle. It's how I've always done it. Of course I drive older cars...

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

The cars I have had new and have broken in myself have not had this problem. The couple of cars I bought used that do this have a tendancy to 'settle' around 45 and 65 or so. The 7 new cars I broke in didn't do this. And two of them were identical models.

And my Supra seems to settle around 60. It's a Canadian car, and whne I say 60 I mean 60 KmH.

But, you never think I know what I'm talking about anyway, so I just consider the source.

Reply to
Hachiroku

You have had how many cars >230,000 miles?

Feh.

Some things change, some things don't. Rings and cylinder walls are still about the same as they were 20 years ago.

Reply to
Hachiroku

So do I. ;-)

Reply to
Jeff

I think I've probably broken in more new cars than you have.

The manual also probably recommends changing the oil every 7.500 miles whether it needs it or not.

I've had a half dozen successes with my method, and was trying to pass on

*experience* to the OP. Don't like it? Don't follow it! Simple!
Reply to
hachiroku

Touche!

Reply to
hachiroku

Seven and a half miles? Gee, my mechanic is more than 7.5 miles away.

So was I, which is, follow the manual, not some guy you don't know on the internet.

It has long been rumored that there are people who are totally clueless twits who write on the internet.

So which makes more sense: To follow the advice of the people who actually build the cars or someone who may or may not know what they are talking about?

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

GONE in 60 seconds.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

a few actually. 306k was my highest [verifiable] mileage. but wtf has that got to do with inability to read manuals???

"about the same"??? you want to be imprecise so you can claim whatever you want that way??? or are you saying "about" you don't actually know the details??? [rhetorical]

it's untrue if you think there are no changes - there are small but subtle changes to lip profiles that help with power and economy, and there are improvements to honing processes giving better cylinder wall finish, and quality.

Reply to
jim beam

"success" as defined by "it didn't break down" is not the same as "success" defined by the manufacturer based on their research.

because you /did/ do a complete tear-down, analysis and comparison with other engines given factory treatment before declaring "success", didn't you?

Reply to
jim beam

Let's see...one car, 245,000 miles and it needed a water pump. Next car...260,000 miles and it needed an alternator rebuild. Next car...240,000 miles and it needed timing belts. And it was a Honda.

Not a single one burned a drop of oil.

All I said was, it works for me. That's good enough for me. And I gave the OP my opinion based on my experience.

Why turn everything into a friggin' arguement?! If you don't like the advice I gave...DON'T FOLLOW IT, MORON!

Reply to
Hachiroku

You just gotta argue about everything, don't you?

The guy's not talking about a gentle break in, he's talking about a coast to coast trip with a new vehicle, presumably as quickly as possible.

I gave him the benefit of my experience. You, as usual, offer nothing.

Matter of fact, I can't for the life of me ever remember when you actually did something other than question and obfuscate what others have said.

If you leave tomorrow, I don't think you'd be missed. Don't let the door slap you...

Reply to
Hachiroku

I doubt the manual was written with a 3,000 mile all-at-once break in in mind.

All the more reason to pay particular attention to the break in period, especially when driving long distances during that period.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Presumably? Well, considering that the guy posted about two different vehicles on two different newsgroups, I don't think there is a real purchase.

Bull! I gave him the benefit of *my* experience and knowledge. And my experience is that these trucks and cars are changing and evolving over the years. There are newer and better oils, better manufacturing and machining methods and better ways to assemble the engines, resulting in different break-in requirements.

The people who build the cars know more than you or I.

What applies to cars made 10, 20 or 30 years ago may or may not apply to cars made today.

You must have a very limited life.

However, questioning is far better than giving out-dated and incorrect advice, as you did.

You know, there is something called a filter, aka, kill file that comes with newsgroups. Please feel free to put me on yours.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

you're making no sense whatsoever.

Reply to
jim beam

your "success" is based on the fact that they're toyotas or hondas, both of which are almost impossible to kill, even by people like you that can't be bothered to read the freakin' manual.

as to your "advice", it's utterly baseless and uninformed. every single freakin' time. if you don't like being called on that, don't give it!

Reply to
jim beam