Re: Plan on driving a new car on a 3000mile highway trip. Bad idea?

Page 3 of 9
Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

No they're not. Well they are, but so are 5000 mile changes. The sludging was from owners following the 7500 mile interval.

Well, my point is that the sludging occurred when following the factory recommended interval. Then it came out: y'all weren't changing your oil often enough. Then it all came out: Toyota screwed up in the design of that engine.
If we can't trust the factory engineer recommendations from Toyota, then it's in our own hands to determine what a comfortable interval would be to try to eliminate such problems.

That kinda fuks up your "trust the manual" philosophy that you give such a hard time to others about.

And with that said, you should never say another goddamn word when someone questions a Honda "Maintenance Minder" schedule.
Peace, Polfus

Yup. It does.
It comes down to: do you trust the car company?
It's been shown that we can't even trust Toyota. WTF.

temper, temper.
So you're of a mind to do it on your own schedule, then, regardless?
No one else can recommend a schedule for you if you want to do it on your own.
Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

that's not strictly true. it's the manual "as revised". each time a tsb is issued, it's what's in the tsb that prevails. just like a service pack or software update for your computer.

if you don't want to follow the manual's service schedule, do oil analysis. all this blind gut stuff is utterly retarded. so is never checking the simple stuff that can be easily checked come to that, and looking inside the rocker cover is hardly difficult to do.
as for toyota sludging, it wasn't /every/ toyota that did it, just a very small subset of users that would literally drive around the block, then stop. repeatedly. if the oil never reached operating temperature but was constantly loaded with condensates, i'm sure pretty much any car would be susceptible. and you then have to ask, to what degree does the engineer have to anticipate statistical outliers?

depends on where the sludge is prone to build up.It might be in a place not visible without dismantling the motor or borescope inspection.

isn't it common knowledge that oil change intervals depend on a particular car's usage? Like if one only uses their car for short trips,or infrequent usage,oil/filter should be changed -more often- than cars used more "fully"?
IMO,an auto manual's procedures are based on AVERAGE use/average conditions,not extremes either way;heavier or lighter use.
That's all the manufacturer/engineer can reliably provide. After that,it's the end user and their knowledgeable mechanics that must make a determination based on the particulars. Otherwise,it's just a guessing game.
More frequent oil/filter changes may be playing on the safe side,at a higher cost.It's a trade-off.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Amen.
Well said, and excellent post.
Peace, Polfus
Jim Yanik wrote:

that's right - and most manuals have two schedules: normal usage and "severe". with those, you try to provide for what is statistically most common. but there are always a few statistical outliers and you simply cannot economically allow for them all.
the famous oil sludge problem for instance is i think only "famous" because it was documented on the web. i've seen situations like that a couple of times in my past, and neither have been toyotas, so while that story may be dramatic, it's not representative of toyota in particular.

again, who cares about statistical outliers? you /could/ provide racing grade "dry" lubrication for all engines, with a 200 liter oil tank, marine grade large and small particulate filters, and computerized on-board chromatography... that should pretty much cover all usage scenarios, but it's not reasonable for all but a literal handful of users, and even then, they are the types that would still have problems through ignorance and neglect.
On Fri, 16 May 2008 18:33:02 -0700, jim beam wrote:

WHY THE FUCK would I pay for an 'oil analysis' that costs more than CHANGING THE FRIGGING OIL?!?!?!
Dude, you make less sense as you go along!

Dude....you got that right.

Heh...no shit.
Peace, Polfus
Polfus wrote:

ever heard the expression, "ignorance is temporary, stupid is for ever"?
here's how it works: you use oil analysis to determine the oil change interval for your regular driving pattern. if analysis determines that you can extend your change interval to 12k miles, for instance, you get to save money on your previous change history.
math [and saving money] doesn't get much simpler.

ever heard the expression, "you're an asshole"?

Re-read what you ignored about this point.

I tell you what...*you* change your oil every 12,000 miles and enjoy yourself.
Good luck with that.
Polfus
On Sun, 18 May 2008 15:39:06 -0400, Polfus wrote:

ROFLMAO...
On Sun, 18 May 2008 08:41:30 -0700, jim beam wrote:

Thanks, but I like to /drive/ my cars. This means, I buy cars with some pep and are fun to drive, and I drive them that way, and I don't want my cars (like the VW I had that had oil pressure problems after being driven to MAss from NJ by Who Knows Who) to spend a lot of time on the lift at the dealer. My oil analysis is this: at 3,000 miles I take a look at it. If it's black, it goes.
Hachiroku ハチロク wrote:

ignorance is nothing to proud of.
On Sun, 18 May 2008 20:13:34 -0700, jim beam wrote:

You're absolutely correct! So start changing your oil at 7,500 like th MFG reccomends!
On Fri, 16 May 2008 17:29:38 -0400, Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

Why? My Supra is notorious for blowing head gaskets. So, you remove the bolts, replace the gasket and retorque the new bolts to the revised spec. Not a problem.

Exactly..its sad, but I really expect no different...its only a damn car company, fer krist's sake.

I aint mad at all...I just think its time *you* chilled out with the whole manual thing when someone asks a question or wants to get a discussion going.

Are you asking me or telling me what you think I'm gonna do?
Dude...I will change my Honda's oil when the maintenance minder says so, or about every 5000k...whichever comes first and whatever I feel like doing at the time.
If the MM comes on, I'll change it for sure, and soon too.
If it doesn't, and 6000k is rolling around, then I will most likely change the oil myself "early".
It couldn't be any easier, or more simple.
And I have *no* plans on keeping my '08 Accord for more than 10 years *MAX*.
I'm not a kid and will most certainly purchase another car before I have to worry about getting 200,000 miles on mine.

Well..you can clearly see that the info given to us consumers may not always be correct.
Therein lies the very reason for the "MM" questions folks have.
Do you understand now?
Peace, Polfus
On Sat, 17 May 2008 00:27:06 -0400, Polfus wrote:

I used to get a new car every two-three years, not entirely by choice! In 1980 I bought a Corolla SR5 Coupe. I liked it and kept it 6 years and 244,000 miles. It's replacement was the 'hachiroku' (1985 Corolla GTS hatch) Magnificent car. Still in my backyard with 259,000 waiting for the rust work to get done. I have an '05 Scion tC coupe I bought in '06, and I like that car too.
Add to that an '88 Supra with ~200,000 miles I picked up for $600 4 years ago, an '89 Mazda 626 in mint condition for $150, and an '89 Subaru Coupe for winter driving. And I change the oil on all of them at 3,000 miles! The Scion gets ~7,000 miles a year, the Supra ~10,000, the Mazda ~12,000 and the Subaru ~6,000. I change the oil on the Supra and the Subaru when they get parked for the season, then I drain that and put in fresh oil when they come back into service. The Scion gets synthetic every 4,500.
All in all, cheap insurance. I wish I knew what moonbeam has against changing oil.
hachiroku ハチロク wrote:

3.5 quarts at $3.00 each = $10.50 1 filter = $4.00
call it $15.00 with drain plug washer.
oil analysis costs $22.50 [blackstone].
4 changes at 3000 miles each = $60.00 1 change at 12000 + 1 analysis = $37.50
what? you don't work for nasa???