Re: Plan on driving a new car on a 3000mile highway trip. Bad idea?

Page 5 of 9

Help me out here...whats the difference?
I haven't looked recently..so please do tell.
Peace, Polfus
On Sat, 17 May 2008 17:15:02 -0400, Polfus wrote:

If you read my response to you, there isn't a lot of info about the difference. Of course, I didn't spend a lot of time looking.
Or, are you just sticking it to Mike...

I seriously want to know what he thinks the difference is.
Peace, Polfus
Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

indeed.
in short, there are three types of "synthetic". group v, ester based, group iv, olefin based, and group iii, highly refined mineral oils.
most modern "synthetics" are group iii, the others being much too expensive. and utterly irrelevant if they're not properly used, i.e. discarded after only 4500 miles!
On Sun, 18 May 2008 08:34:53 -0700, jim beam wrote:

How is that 'irrelevant'? Should we wait until the oil is thoroughly contaminated before changing it?
For the life of me, I can't see how changing the oil 500 miles early 'damages' anything. Please explain this.
Hachiroku ハチロク wrote:

how do you /know/???? [rhetorical] you don't do analysis!
bottom line, color has nothing to do with it - the oil's filtered. any particle, and it's only soot that makes it black, that can get through the filter is too small to make any difference to lubrication. check how thick the hydrodynamic oil films are, then look at the filter's particle size pass-through.

500???? 3k miles is 4.5k early.
On Sun, 18 May 2008 20:12:51 -0700, jim beam wrote:

Toyota's recommendation is 5,000 miles.
On Fri, 16 May 2008 14:31:37 -0400, Polfus wrote:

LOL! Gracias! BTW, did I ever mention I have NEVER had sludge in my engines?
On Fri, 16 May 2008 11:49:21 -0400, Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

BUT IT'S WHAT THE MANUAL SAID!!!! ONLY A FOOL WOULD CHANGE OIL MORE OFTEN THAN THE MANUAL SAYS!!!!!
On Fri, 16 May 2008 08:31:07 -0700, SMS wrote:

More often, not following any schedule at all.
Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

Not if the engine is subject to sludging.
And if the threads on the oil drain plug or where the oil filter goes get damaged, you could easily run out of oil.
Jeff

In which case, you will now hear from the people who swear by those replacement flip-valve plugs.
On Fri, 16 May 2008 20:53:01 +0000, Jeff wrote:

Bull. The only people who had problems were ones who rarely changed the oil. If the maintenance schedule was followed, oil sludging was minimal and at most a flushing was required.
On Fri, 16 May 2008 08:03:11 -0400, Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

Probably. They probably would have benefitted from people just changing the oil in the first place. Most people that had these problems were the people who changed the oil every 12,000 miles whether it needed it or not.
Here we go again I did not claim anything, I posted a fact. If you CLAIM what I posted was not factual, you are welcomed to prove me wrong LOL
wrote in

Mike hunt wrote:

You posted an opinion.
Jeff

On Sat, 17 May 2008 02:00:32 +0000, Jeff wrote:

"I was once told informally by an oil company chemist that when the catalyst which allows an oil to be multi weighted starts to break down, it turns acidic and causes tarnish and other naughty things."
"A good lubricant must reduce particulate wear from the interaction of metal-metal contact
Even the best lubricants degrade over time, as a result of friction and chemical in the additive package reacting with particulate, moisture, heat and oxygen resulting in acidic properties"
" At this point, the oil turns acidic, which is bad for moving parts."
"Spring Starting Step 1     Change oil but not the filter. (Oil may turn acidic)"
There are plenty more.

Haw, good luck on that. The primary source for all of Mike's information is his rectum.
Hachiroku ハチロク wrote:

no elephants in your refrigerator, so elephants don't like butter...
On Thu, 15 May 2008 05:48:00 -0700, jim beam wrote:

It's logic like that that made this country what it is today...