Re: Plan on driving a new car on a 3000mile highway trip. Bad idea?

that's not strictly true. it's the manual "as revised". each time a tsb is issued, it's what's in the tsb that prevails. just like a service pack or software update for your computer.

if you don't want to follow the manual's service schedule, do oil analysis. all this blind gut stuff is utterly retarded. so is never checking the simple stuff that can be easily checked come to that, and looking inside the rocker cover is hardly difficult to do.

as for toyota sludging, it wasn't /every/ toyota that did it, just a very small subset of users that would literally drive around the block, then stop. repeatedly. if the oil never reached operating temperature but was constantly loaded with condensates, i'm sure pretty much any car would be susceptible. and you then have to ask, to what degree does the engineer have to anticipate statistical outliers?

Reply to
jim beam

You posted an opinion.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

jim beam wrote in news:64CdnURsH81SqLPVnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@speakeasy.net:

depends on where the sludge is prone to build up.It might be in a place not visible without dismantling the motor or borescope inspection.

isn't it common knowledge that oil change intervals depend on a particular car's usage? Like if one only uses their car for short trips,or infrequent usage,oil/filter should be changed -more often- than cars used more "fully"?

IMO,an auto manual's procedures are based on AVERAGE use/average conditions,not extremes either way;heavier or lighter use.

That's all the manufacturer/engineer can reliably provide. After that,it's the end user and their knowledgeable mechanics that must make a determination based on the particulars. Otherwise,it's just a guessing game.

More frequent oil/filter changes may be playing on the safe side,at a higher cost.It's a trade-off.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

OK. Good for you.

For years Toyota recommended 7,500 mile oil changes.

Have a look on Toyota.com and see what's recommended.

Reply to
Hachiroku

And I listen to experts and Service managers. Who know I change my own oil.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Let's add something else. On the 10,000 mile service for my last new car, the S.M. had them drill points on the suspension and add Zerk fittings. Tha factory said the suspension was lubed for the life of the car. Why do you suppose the S.M. did that, at no charge?

Reply to
Hachiroku

Hmmmm...when have I been 'caught'?

Who, other thatn you, says it's bad to change the oil after 1,500 miles? I've had Service Managers tell me to do this. I think someone who works for the dealership knows better than someone who names himself after whiskey...

Reply to
Hachiroku

"I was once told informally by an oil company chemist that when the catalyst which allows an oil to be multi weighted starts to break down, it turns acidic and causes tarnish and other naughty things."

"A good lubricant must reduce particulate wear from the interaction of metal-metal contact

Even the best lubricants degrade over time, as a result of friction and chemical in the additive package reacting with particulate, moisture, heat and oxygen resulting in acidic properties"

" At this point, the oil turns acidic, which is bad for moving parts."

"Spring Starting Step 1 Change oil but not the filter. (Oil may turn acidic)"

There are plenty more.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Probably. They probably would have benefitted from people just changing the oil in the first place. Most people that had these problems were the people who changed the oil every 12,000 miles whether it needed it or not.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Bull. The only people who had problems were ones who rarely changed the oil. If the maintenance schedule was followed, oil sludging was minimal and at most a flushing was required.

Reply to
Hachiroku

More often, not following any schedule at all.

Reply to
Hachiroku

BUT IT'S WHAT THE MANUAL SAID!!!! ONLY A FOOL WOULD CHANGE OIL MORE OFTEN THAN THE MANUAL SAYS!!!!!

Reply to
Hachiroku

LOL! Gracias! BTW, did I ever mention I have NEVER had sludge in my engines?

Reply to
Hachiroku

Probably. But the number one recommendation to owners worrying about sludging was, "Change the oil regularly, and NO LATER than 7,500 miles."

In rare cases we would flush the engines with BG Flush, and on *really* rare occasions the engine would have to have the head removed.

Reply to
Hachiroku

Why? My Supra is notorious for blowing head gaskets. So, you remove the bolts, replace the gasket and retorque the new bolts to the revised spec. Not a problem.

Reply to
Hachiroku

WHY THE FUCK would I pay for an 'oil analysis' that costs more than CHANGING THE FRIGGING OIL?!?!?!

Dude, you make less sense as you go along!

Reply to
Hachiroku

260,000 miles is 'low mileage'?
Reply to
Hachiroku

Haw, good luck on that. The primary source for all of Mike's information is his rectum.

Reply to
Gordon McGrew

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" wrote

Exactly..its sad, but I really expect no different...its only a damn car company, fer krist's sake.

I aint mad at all...I just think its time *you* chilled out with the whole manual thing when someone asks a question or wants to get a discussion going.

Are you asking me or telling me what you think I'm gonna do?

Dude...I will change my Honda's oil when the maintenance minder says so, or about every 5000k...whichever comes first and whatever I feel like doing at the time.

If the MM comes on, I'll change it for sure, and soon too.

If it doesn't, and 6000k is rolling around, then I will most likely change the oil myself "early".

It couldn't be any easier, or more simple.

And I have *no* plans on keeping my '08 Accord for more than 10 years *MAX*.

I'm not a kid and will most certainly purchase another car before I have to worry about getting 200,000 miles on mine.

Well..you can clearly see that the info given to us consumers may not always be correct.

Therein lies the very reason for the "MM" questions folks have.

Do you understand now?

Peace, Polfus

Reply to
Polfus

"Jim Yanik" wrote

Won' stop it, but it most definately helps keep it to a minimum.

Pennzoil has a new one that is supposed to *reverse* sludging.

I plan on switching to Mobil 1 as soon as I get thru this first new car factory oil period.

I wonder how much we would save each year in barrels if everyone used synthetic oil?

Peace, Polfus

Reply to
Polfus