Re: Plan on driving a new car on a 3000mile highway trip. Bad idea?

Page 6 of 9
Hachiroku ハチロク wrote:

you mean the world's #1 superpower? the global leader in technology? the wealthiest nation on earth?
you made a correct statement, but only in the way that a broken clock is right twice a day.
On Thu, 15 May 2008 17:44:32 -0700, jim beam wrote:

I was thinking more the one that acts like you:
Can't read Can't do math Has China do all it's manufacturing Buys oil from enemies rather than getting it's own

At least I'm correct that much.

I don't think anyone has much of a problem with recommending a "gentle" break in. What the issue was is your definition of it.
1) 1000 Miles is plenty. And by Gentle, we mean no high RPM's, easy on the jack-rabbit starts, and try to keep the RPM's moving around a bit.
2) The first Oil Change should NOT be done until the maintenance minder says to do it. The oil in the car from the factory is specially formulated to aid in break-in, and if you remove it prematurely, you could do more harm than good.
The engineers know what they are doing. Honda and Toyota have earned the reputation of the top 2 car manufacturers for reliability. It makes sense to do what they say to ensure a reliable ride...
--
Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
joe at hits - buffalo dot com
On Sun, 11 May 2008 22:30:35 -0500, Joe wrote:

jim beam sure does! I thnk if he were here he'd be coming at me with an axe...

Yup. pretty much what I said...

Toyota does not use a special break in oil. Unless they've changed in the last 3 years. Honda may; I asked a Honda service manager when I worked for a Honda/Toyota shop and he said, "Huh?"
But, he had not been a *Honda* service manager for very long. A lot of people say it is a special oil.
I'd be willing to bet the 'special break in oil' is Slick 50 or something similar. Anyone know?

Most of them are naive, clueless LIEbrawl DEMONrats.

GONE in 60 seconds.
hachiroku ハチロク wrote:

"success" as defined by "it didn't break down" is not the same as "success" defined by the manufacturer based on their research.
because you /did/ do a complete tear-down, analysis and comparison with other engines given factory treatment before declaring "success", didn't you?
On Sun, 11 May 2008 18:21:42 -0700, jim beam wrote:

Let's see...one car, 245,000 miles and it needed a water pump. Next car...260,000 miles and it needed an alternator rebuild. Next car...240,000 miles and it needed timing belts. And it was a Honda.
Not a single one burned a drop of oil.
All I said was, it works for me. That's good enough for me. And I gave the OP my opinion based on my experience.
Why turn everything into a friggin' arguement?! If you don't like the advice I gave...DON'T FOLLOW IT, MORON!
Hachiroku ハチロク wrote:

your "success" is based on the fact that they're toyotas or hondas, both of which are almost impossible to kill, even by people like you that can't be bothered to read the freakin' manual.
as to your "advice", it's utterly baseless and uninformed. every single freakin' time. if you don't like being called on that, don't give it!
On Sun, 11 May 2008 19:35:07 -0700, jim beam wrote:

Hmmm...when did I say I didn't read the manual? Of course I read the manuals.

It's based on what's in the manuals for break-in.

And your suggestion to the OP would be? You didn't even bother to speak up until you read my post.
Here's what the Pilot manual says:
Help assure your vehicle's future reliablilty and performance by paying extra attention to how you drive during the first 600 miles. During this period:
Avoid full-throttle starts and rapid acceleration
Do not change the oil until the recommended time or mileage interval shown in the maintenance section.
Avoid hard breaking. New brakes need to be broken in by moderate use for the first 200 miles.
A real wealth of information there, eh?
I'll stick to my method, thanks. It's proven over thirty years and nine or so new cars.
Next time you want to pick a fight, stick your head up your ass and fight for air.
Hachiroku ハチロク wrote:

you may look at the pages, but you don't seem to understand the words written on them.

no it's not!!! you recommend ignoring what /is/ in the owner manual - oil change interval - but you have no rationale!!!

that's an average of a new car every 3.3 years. either there's something you're not sharing, or your mileage numbers are, er, "over-optimistic". [240k in 3.3 years = 72k miles per year. that's 200 miles per day, every single day of the year. at average 60mph, that's 3.3 hours per day, every single day of the year.]
bottom line, you're not going to have much in the way of oil-related reliability problem show up in only 3 years of, lets say, "more typical" usage.

you're boxing your own shadow.
On Sun, 11 May 2008 21:33:08 -0700, jim beam wrote:

So? This thread was picked up in the Toyota group, where the OP asked specifically about a Highlannder. Here's what the Highlander Owner's manual says:
*Drive gently and avoid high speeds.*
Your vehicle does not need an elaborate break-in. But following a few simple steps for the first 1000 miles can add to the future economy and long life of your vehicle:
Avoid full throttle acceleration when starting and driving.
Avoid racing the engine.
Try to avoid hard stops during the first 200 miles.
Do not drive for a long time at any single speed, either fast or slow.
Do not tow a trailer during the first 500 miles.
So except for adding an oil change, what did I say that was outside these guidelines.
Also, considering this is the first 3000 miles of the car's life, I would consider a 3,000 mile trip "severe driving conditions" and adjust accordingly.
You change your oil every 7,500 miles whether it needs it or not? I do 3,000 miles. That's not in the manual, is it?
As far as an extra oil change, I have rationale. And you're not rational.
Hachiroku wrote:

tooling along the freeway is not "extreme".

the question you really need to be asking yourself is this:
"why do i pay attention to nameless nobodies and ignore the engineers and researchers that know what they're doing?"

no you don't, you have ignorance. by your logic, you'd go to a brain surgeon, then tell them they don't know what they're doing. some of the research that goes into modern cars is real rocket science. done by smart people that actually know what they're doing. and that's who you're saying they don't know what they're doing with your wasteful 3k mile oil change.

so how's your dentist? are you better at their job than they are?
On Mon, 12 May 2008 19:18:19 -0700, jim beam wrote:

Let's review again:

I dunno. I guess I should have plonked you a while ago, like when I first ran into you.
hachiroku wrote:

hmm. let's examine the logic:
1. you post underinformed crap. 2. i call you on it. 3. you killfile /me/ for /your/ ignorance.
doesn't look good, does it!
On Tue, 13 May 2008 20:19:41 -0700, jim beam wrote:

Let's review again:
I give OP good advice for breaking in a new car on a long trip. You come in waiving the manual. I point out the manual verifies 99% of what I told the OP. You question the manual.
You say to me, "the question you really need to be asking yourself is this: "why do i pay attention to nameless nobodies""
I ask myself that question and wonder aloud why I haven't plonked you.
No, you're right. It sure doesn't look good. I'd give up if I were you...
Are you any relation to Smirmoff? He has a tendancy to think in RPN also...
hachiroku ハチロク wrote:

eh? so your problem is still my fault?

if you could actually use rpn, you wouldn't be here.
On Wed, 14 May 2008 19:06:25 -0700, jim beam wrote:

No, if you read it correctly, you're still my problem

We all used RPN back then.
And slide rules before that.
Hachiroku ハチロク wrote:

i'm not your problem! your ignorance and subsequent bullshit is your problem!

who's "we"?

so you're an old fart. how is it possible to reach that age without learning anything? missing gene perhaps?
http://www.tfot.info/news/1094/some-people-never-learn.html
On Wed, 14 May 2008 20:53:23 -0700, jim beam wrote:

Those of us with brains.

By not listening to know-it-alls.