Re: Plan on driving a new car on a 3000mile highway trip. Bad idea?

Page 7 of 9
On Wed, 14 May 2008 20:53:23 -0700, jim beam wrote:

This article says, "Learning from failures."
Having never failed, no lesson need be learned. There are books and SMART people out there. I learn by doing and picking brains. I see yours is picked clean.
Hachiroku ハチロク wrote:

seems your reading comprehension isn't too strong. that may explain why you can't follow written instructions, but it sure is scary to witness.
On Thu, 15 May 2008 05:47:34 -0700, jim beam wrote:

I don't read blather. The first paragraph was enough.
Hachiroku ハチロク wrote:

what an extraordinary statement. would you like fries with that?
On Thu, 15 May 2008 17:46:26 -0700, jim beam wrote:

From reading about your 'expertise', I'd have guessed that's about what you're good for. Can I have a shake, too?
Hachiroku ハチロク wrote:

but you're serving. i'll have a double large fries please. plenty of salt. no ketchup.
Hachiroku ハチロク wrote:

snip
I think that this is great advice regardless of make of vehicle. It's how I've always done it. Of course I drive older cars...
JT
Hachiroku ハチロク wrote:

Bad idea to do the first oil change at 1500 miles, and totally unnecessary, with absolutely no benefit, of doing 3000 mile oil changes after that.

LOL. with 3000 mile oil changes you never knew whether they burned oil or not.

Never change the oil at 1500 miles on a new car.
On Wed, 14 May 2008 20:57:15 -0700, SMS wrote:

Been doing it for a long time. Seems to work. I have a couple of 20 year old cars here.

4 quarts going in, 4 quarts coming out, no smoke from the tailpipe. Sounds good to me.

Why? I do it all the time and get rewarded with cars that go >200,000 miles with no oil related problems. Matter of fact, no problems at all, hardly.
Maintenance is a wonderful thing.
Phew...
Hachiroku ハチロク wrote:

So why didn't you change the oil every 1000 miles or every 500 miles? It would have had the same effect on longevity as 3000 mile oil changes or 5000 mile oil changes. Don't you want to buy all the cheap insurance you can buy?

You seem to think that getting 200,000 miles out of a car is some spectacular achievement that requires doing far more maintenance than necessary.

Recreational oil changing is pretty wasteful. All the experts agree that there is no additional benefit to the engine from changing the oil that often.
SMS wrote:

whatever do you mean??? there's /huge/ benefit for the oilcos in separating fools from their money!
On Thu, 15 May 2008 05:46:39 -0700, jim beam wrote:

Hey, look! It's the meeting of the local Mensa chapter!
How long have you two managed to keep a car running, and looking like brand new?
Hachiroku ハチロク wrote:

how many elephants are there in your refrigerator? did you hide the butter?
On Wed, 14 May 2008 23:54:26 -0700, SMS wrote:

On my Corolla, I have 260,000 miles. That's 81 oil changes at about 3,200 miles between changes. At an average of $2/qt, that's $650. I buy filters in bulk, since I usually have two cars that use the same filter. I get genuine Toyota filters, by the case, for about $3.50 each.
Over the life of the car I have had no oil related failures, it doesn't burn oil no blow-by, nothing. The engine responds like it did the day I bought the car.
And if you average the life of the car, that works out to an oil change every 3 months.
$650 sounds like cheap insurance to me.
Hachiroku ハチロク wrote:

Again, if you believe that 3000 mile oil changes are what is preserving your Corolla, then why don't you do even more and do oil changes every 1000 miles. There's just as much evidence that 1000 mile oil changes are more beneficial than 5000 mile oil changes than 3000 mule oil changes being more beneficial than 5000 mile oil changes (in both cases there is no evidence at all).
You're throwing money away in an illogical and misguided belief that you're doing your engine a favor by changing the oil far more often than necessary. You'd have gotten the same service out of the Corolla doing the 5000 mile oil changes.
You're talking about a Corolla here. They could mount guns on them and send them into battle as a tank. I know someone who routinely ran their Corolla 10,000 miles between oil changes and they still had over 200K miles on it whent they sold it 15 years later.
You've somehow reached the erroneous conclusion that having no oil-related failures is due to changing the oil far more often than necessary. Yet if you ask any Toyota mechanic (or any independent mechanic for that matter) about the longevity of a Corolla maintained according the factory recommended schedule you'd also find no oil related failures.
You need to learn to look at the big picture, and think logically. Don't draw baseless conclusions.
In fact, you probably lost some of the engine life from you cars by changing the intitial oil too early, but again that's not something that you'll ever know for sure.
On Thu, 15 May 2008 08:30:26 -0700, SMS wrote:

Wow! Thanks for an intelligent response rather than coming back with the guns blaring.
OK, maybe I'm wrong with the 1,500 mile oil change. I dunno. I will stick to the 3,000 miles, however, esp on the older cars. On my Scion I set the 'reminder' to 4,500 miles since that car is running synthetic.
However, I also take into account other factors. If the oil looks dirty, out it goes, but not before 3,000 miles. There have been times I didn't change the oil right at 3,000, but usually before 5,000. If at 3,000 it looks dirty, it goes.
Toyota engines run hot, and heat doesn't help motor oil at all.
I also occasionally treat it to some Slick 50, too...
Hachiroku ハチロク wrote:

3000 mile change? 4500 mile change on synthetic? change it when it "looks dirty"? "toyota engines run hot"??? "heat doesn't help motor oil"??? you use slick 50?
that's priceless!
dude, sheep are made to be fleeced. you're a sheep. you're getting fleeced.
baaa.
On Thu, 15 May 2008 17:36:56 -0700, jim beam wrote:

Those scoffs above show you're an idiot.

My cars run well for a couple hundred thousand miles, I get better economy than the EPA rated mileage in everyday driving, my cars pass EPA inspections as well at 200,000 miles as they did new,I don't have to do a lot of repairs, or change rings, or have knocking sounds, and I drive like a bat out of hell.
What do you do? wait until it no longer registers on the dipstick, and then add a few quarts till the next time?
Tell me, what the fuck is *WRONG* with you?
Hachiroku ハチロク wrote:

well, they sure show /somebody/ is an idiot!

that's because it's a TOYOTA, not because of your retarded oil change witchcraft.

i /love/ taunting retards. i'm sick.
On Thu, 15 May 2008 18:43:59 -0700, jim beam wrote:

I'm a retard because I told someone to change his oil in a new car after a 3,000 mile road trip?
I knew from the first time you answered a post of mine you were nothing but an asshole. Thanks for proving it.
If you knew half as much as you think you do, you'd still be an imbecile.