Re: Plan on driving a new car on a 3000mile highway trip. Bad idea?

Page 8 of 9
Hachiroku ハチロク wrote:

actually, you said: "I drive a car 1500 miles and then do the first oil change".
then, just to make sure it wasn't a typo or that you were mistaken the first time, you said: "I would still take it pretty easy for the first 1500 miles, and stop and have the oil changed".
so you said to change it after 1500 miles. twice. not 3000 miles.

an imbecile is one who not only doesn't now what they're talking about, but doesn't have the balls to admit it when caught, or worse, tries to b.s. their way out of it. you sir, are the imbecile.
jim beam wrote:

Plus, it's a very bad idea to change your oil that soon. Some dealers put signs up in their service areas warning customers not too change the oil on new cars too soon.
Again, follow the manual. Too much maintenance can be as bad as too little.
On Thu, 15 May 2008 19:59:31 -0700, jim beam wrote:

Hmmmm...when have I been 'caught'?
Who, other thatn you, says it's bad to change the oil after 1,500 miles? I've had Service Managers tell me to do this. I think someone who works for the dealership knows better than someone who names himself after whiskey...
On Thu, 15 May 2008 18:43:59 -0700, jim beam wrote:

Me to, witless, me too...
Hachiroku ハチロク wrote:

You are funny when you drink.
But, your name-calling speaks to who doesn't know what he is talking about.

EPA doesn't have inspections.

None of which shows that too-frequent oil changes are the cause.
> What do you do? wait until it no longer registers on the dipstick, and

You are a piece of work, aren't you?
You keep making stupid responses even when you are wrong. Are related to Mike Hunt, by any chance?
Jeff
On Fri, 16 May 2008 02:06:15 +0000, Jeff wrote:

Why am I wrong? Who says I'm wrong? You? jim moonbat? You said you change your oil every 5,000 miles. The manual says 7,500. You must be an idiot for changing your oil so often.
Shut up while you're ahead, dipshit.
Hachiroku ハチロク wrote:

It's not insurance. In fact, you risk getting a faulty filter, not tightening the drain plug properly, etc. Plus, it is a waste of money. And, the oil filter has tiny holes in the filter media such that during the first several miles, the oil filter doesn't filter out small particualrs so well.
Jeff
On Fri, 16 May 2008 02:03:33 +0000, Jeff wrote:

Good for you.
The manual says every 7,500 miles. So, why is 5,000 better than 7,500? Or better than 3,000? Let's see what jim moonbeam has to say about this.
Hachiroku ハチロク wrote:

i say that, given that i can't be bothered to do the tribology myself, but as someone that has done analysis on engine wear, reading the freakin' book is the way to go. not too hard. unless you can't read. or get past the first paragraph of "blather".
On Thu, 15 May 2008 20:01:32 -0700, jim beam wrote:

And I listen to experts and Service managers. Who know I change my own oil.
On Thu, 15 May 2008 20:01:32 -0700, jim beam wrote:

Let's add something else. On the 10,000 mile service for my last new car, the S.M. had them drill points on the suspension and add Zerk fittings. Tha factory said the suspension was lubed for the life of the car. Why do you suppose the S.M. did that, at no charge?
Hachiroku ハチロク wrote:

it's called "profit". drilling a grease nipple into a joint /after/ assembly damages the joint and contaminates it. thus reducing life. and each subsequent grease injection can introduce more contamination too.
so, as a one-man profit center, you're an unscrupulous service manager's dream. that's not "no charge".
On Sun, 18 May 2008 10:16:29 -0700, jim beam wrote:

As the drill turns, since you're drilling from the bottom, the havings fall away. Those that don't get driven out when fresh grease is installed.
The fittings were put in in 1986. The car was being driven until 2003. No damage to rack and pinion, and still on original ball joints wher the grease fittings were added.
I guess that *really* paid off for them, eh?
Hachiroku ハチロク wrote:

wrong. as you break through, shavings get pushed in. grease on top of that pushes them further, as well as any grit that's in the gun.

so you say. but the fact is, unless the boots are damaged, these things typically last 300k+, with no intervention.

1. they clearly don't know what they're doing. 2. contamination is a fact. deal with it. contamination causes early failure. if yours haven't yet, it's good engineering, and certainly not /because/ of this stupidity.
On Sun, 18 May 2008 20:11:50 -0700, jim beam wrote:

Sure they do. No tears in the boots on the BJs on my Supra, and they need to be replaced.
I sense you haven't really a clue...

I turst a factory trained service dep't more than the say of someone who changes his oil every 12,000 miles, whether it need it or not. Manual says 7,500. What's your excuse?

This is coming from someone who only does an oil change every 12,000 miles?!?!?
Hachiroku ハチロク wrote:

er, one minute, it's all hail the grease nipple, and now, it's premature joint replacement. unrelated events obviously.

a-n-a-l-y-s-i-s.
a-n-a-l-y-s-i-s. you should get some. and for your oil.
On Sun, 18 May 2008 21:00:44 -0700, jim beam wrote:

It's still cheaper to change the oil.
Hachiroku ハチロク wrote:

but i did the math for you. $37.50 is not more expensive than $60.00.
On Sun, 18 May 2008 21:38:28 -0700, jim beam wrote:

But my time is worth $35 an hour.
It's easier to change the oil than fart around. Write back when you start following Manufacturer's reccomendations...
hachiroku ハチロク wrote:

er, that makes the math worse, not better.

translation: because you don't know what you're doing, you /prefer/ to fart around.

manufacturers use a-n-a-l-y-s-i-s. you can too.