Re: Plan on driving a new car on a 3000mile highway trip. Bad idea?

"Hachiroku ????" wrote

Well...that pretty much says it all.

Peace, Polfus

Reply to
Polfus

But my time is worth $35 an hour.

It's easier to change the oil than fart around. Write back when you start following Manufacturer's reccomendations...

Reply to
hachiroku

Gil comes limping into the parking lot in a 'vintage' Mustang, engine running hard but barely moving. Wanted to know what was wrong with her car.

After checking the battery, alternator, etc, we pulled the dipstick. Oil was well above the 'full' mark, and with a bright light we could see oil in the dipstick tube.

"When did you last change your oil?" "I don't remember, but I just had a quart put in yesterday."

Turns out, whenever she added gas to the tank, she also had them throw in a quart of oil. Don't know where she was going for gas, but if they weren't looking at the dipstick, I'd get my gas elsewhere...

Reply to
hachiroku

er, that makes the math worse, not better.

translation: because you don't know what you're doing, you /prefer/ to fart around.

manufacturers use a-n-a-l-y-s-i-s. you can too.

Reply to
jim beam

I don't work Saruday mornings.

No, because I know what I'm doing, I change my own oil and have a look around while I'm doing it.

Manufacturers give you an o-w-n-e-r's m-a-n-u-a-l. Read it and follow reccomendations.

Obviously, their a-n-a-l-y-s-i-s has shown that oil needs to be changed at

7,500, but dweebs like you disregard it and cry about sludged engines.

Twerp.

Reply to
Hachiroku

dude, hate to break it to you, but there's no pride in being stupid. back in the day, manufacturers used analysis to determine an average schedule. some will be over, most under. some /way/ under. my bulk mileage is freeway. as such, my oil has a real easy time. and thus, analysis shows i can extend my interval. so i do!

ever noticed how modern service monitors don't have fixed oil change intervals any more? that's because the engine computer registers driving conditions and adjusts the change interval reminder accordingly. and that computer is programmed based on the a-n-a-l-y-s-i-s the development team did in testing! real freakin' easy.

Reply to
jim beam

And yet you keep coming back and showing us just how bad you are.

So is mine.

Good for you.

Considering what a hard time you gave me trying to reccomend something someone should do to prolong the life of his car, and pointing out over and over "But the manual doesn't say that!!" I think you should have a good look at the manual yourself. The 7,500 mile oil change reccomendation is for 'average' driving. I'm sure if you look they'll have another, tighter regulation for 'severe' driving. Which means you should be following the 'average' reccomendation.

Like I said, cheap insurance.

Reply to
hachiroku

oooh, i'm "bad". sounds sexy! is that sexier than being stupid? oh, wait, stupid is just stupid. my bad.

translation: "propagating baseless drivel with no rationale except ignorance and superstition dating from the 1950's."

but you're the guy ignoring the manual!

so you fill the gas tank when you feel like it? how about change the tires? no, you fill the tank when the gauge says so, and you change tires when the treads are worn. well, that's what /i/ do with oil, based on what analysis has informed me. a MEASURED quantity is better than superstitious crap any day.

no, it's an excuse for being ignorant.

Reply to
jim beam

By changing the oil more frequently, not waiting until it's borderline sludge...

How often do you do an analysis? Every change? I'll stick to the manual. The recommendation for severe driving. Works for me.

Reply to
Hachiroku

pure unadulterated ignorance.

i already told you. pay attention.

but you don't!!!

but yours is not "severe". and crashing isn't a strain on your oil.

any elephants in your fridge?

Reply to
jim beam