Re: Prelude Check Engine light -- no code

I'm as puzzled as you are about the MIL being on and no codes, but I wonder if a regular OBDII reader would retrieve codes. Many auto parts chains are offering to read codes for free in hopes they can make a sale of repair parts - it's a good service.
I agree with the next step if you don't get anywhere that way - reset it and see what happens. As long as the engine runs okay and the mpg is not way lower, the light isn't trying to tell you anything you care about. Drive happy!
If the worst comes to pass and you have to get a replacement ECM, wrecking yards are definitely the way to go. ECMs from '96 cars are very common in wrecking yards now, and one with a 30 day warranty (plenty of time to make sure you didn't get a bad one) are usually in the $100 range. You don't want to buy one from Honda, I am sure.
Mike