Re: R.I.P. General Motors (1931-2006)

I don't KNOW it. It's my opinion. It's a pretty strong one, but it's still an opinion. Now, I base that opinion on many observations. One of them is that I somewhat rarely see anyone actually use the space or the off-road capabilities -- except for contractors, etc. I also see an awful lot of them running around with only one person in them. That's not an SUV-only phenomenon, but at least with a smaller vehicle you're not eating so much gas. Again, these are only my opinions.

I only had two children so I can't say for sure that I wouldn't need an SUV with three, but my opinion is that I still wouldn't get one.

I'd agree that five children would be a problem with a 'standard' vehicle. Depending on your beliefs, five children is a choice too.

My car requires premium so I am not overly concerned (obviously) about getting the cheapest fuel.

Everyone makes their own choices based on what they want or need. Sometimes, those would not be my choices but them we get more to talk about.

Reply to
Lee Florack

That statement makes me wonder even more why you said; >>> I'm saying that SUV's are not really needed by many who have them ... when over half the buyer in the US are choosing the light trucks and SUVs want or need, if that is your opinion? ;)

Reply to
Mike Hunter

This isn't really that difficult a concept to grasp. I'm saying they don't NEED SUV's. They may WANT them. They may buy lots of them. But they don't NEED them. (Of course, that's my opinion.)

OK?

Reply to
Lee Florack

You would have saved a lot of trouble, if you would have said, in my opinion, I think, or I believe, anything that would indicated it was your opinion rather than expecting anybody to believe that you actually know that most people do not need SUVs. That was why I asked the question how do you know most people do not need SUVs? ;)

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I think you need to reread what I wrote.

Reply to
Lee Florack

He said it was his opinion before he even stated it. But I think it is a fact. Most of the people who drive the big SUVs would be better served by a more efficient vehicle, like a minivan. About 80% of the big SUVs driving around are performing missions which could be accomplished by a subcompact.

Reply to
Gordon McGrew

Actually your granddaughter would be better served with a minivan than an SUV. More room inside and better gas mileage.

Too me the SUVs are the Country Squire station wagons. When the next trend comes along the public will wonder why they drove SUVs. Remember the "personal luxury cars of the 70's?

M> I would never ague with a persons opinion, you certainly entitled to your

Reply to
Dave

That my be your opinion, but the people that are choosing to buy SUVs obviously do not agree with your opinion.

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

You mean this; >>> I'm saying that SUV's are not really needed by many who have them ...?

mike hunt

Reply to
Mike Hunter

Mike, My niece and her husband have only one child. They have a SUV. If you saw them in their SUV, it would be easy to assume that they should own a car or mini-van instead of the SUV. However, their home is located about one mile from the state road. They have to drive on a dirt road and across a bridge in order to get to their home. In the winter and during rain storms--the dirt road becomes muddy and the bridge becomes very slick. You should NOT assume that SUV's are not really needed by many who have them. I am certain that MOST of the people that own SUVs have excellent reasons for owning an SUV instead of a van or car. This is NOT a communist country. People have rights to buy almost any type of vehicle they want to buy. Jason

Reply to
Jason

I would not assume anything, I agree, the buyer is the only one who know what the need. That is why I asked the question, 'how do you know the do not need them' when the post said, >>> I'm saying that SUV's are not really needed by many who have them ...? ;)

Reply to
Mike Hunter

I sure did say that it was my opinion. Thanks for noticing :-)

Mike seems to think that since many people purchase SUV's -- indicating that they WANT and LIKE SUV's -- it also indicates that they NEED them.

Reply to
Lee Florack

Yes, but you cut out the many times I said that it was my opinion.

Reply to
Lee Florack

I didn't say they couldn't buy whatever they want to for whatever reasons they can come up with. I stated my opinion. You seem to disagree. That's fine, you're entitled to your opinion just like I am. But please don't bring up Communism.

Reply to
Lee Florack

If you actually read what I wrote, you might (but maybe not) see that I not only stated very early that it was my opinion, but a bit later in the thread I also explained how I formed my opinion. If you did that, maybe you'd stop asking the same question repeatedly that I have answered repeatedly.

I thought one reason for posting here was to state and discuss opinions -- as long as they are not stated as fact.

Reply to
Lee Florack

Communism.?

mike

Reply to
Mike Hunter

That's what he said. It's still in his quote below if you look for it.

Reply to
Lee Florack

Well put. I said essentially the same thing recently to a liberal friend who was off and running on the standard lefty rant against people who drive SUVs.

My only beef with SUVs is practical, not political: it's that I can't see around the goddam things. That being said, it's far more meaningful to me that people here in America have the right to buy and drive whatever they want, and can afford, to buy and drive. Don't like SUVs? Then don't buy one.

Geoff

Reply to
Geoff Miller

I look back to the 1950s when there were no SUVs and very little pickups and people got around just fine. I know lifestyles have changed since then, but I think it is more cost-effective to take the two days off from work a year that it snows bad enough, rather than purchase a $35,000 SUV especially with $3.00 a gallon gas prices.

Reply to
Bob Palmer

I lived in the mountains of Western Virginia for many years. We needed a SUV or any type of vehicle that had 4 wheel drive. You would not believe how dangerous it is to drive to work each day when the roads are covered with snow or ice. It's possible to buy a SUV for less than $35,000. Honda has a SUV that cost about $22,000. Kia probably has at least one SUV that cost much less than $35,000. Jason

Reply to
Jason