Re: R.I.P. General Motors (1931-2006)

Gee it went up in since yesterday when you said it was only 5% LOL
mike hunt
wrote in message

What went up yesterday?

(...)
Jeff
On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 18:03:09 -0400, "Mike Hunter"

Uh, I think that was Jeff. I just made a rough approximation. I said less than 6%. He said 5%. He may be closer than I am but we came to these figures independently using different sources and methods so I think we are pretty close. LOL yourself, it's not us who have been holding on to a crummy stock for forty years. Have fun riding it down.
Here is what Jeff said: Actually, the shares closed at 22.88, which means that your intitial investment at 40.125 is now worth 91.52 (4 x 22.88). Which means that you got an annual return of around 5% (the dividends) for a total return of around 1000% (it takes about 14 years for a something that returns 5% to double in value). Meanwhile, the SP 500 index had a return of about 1700% plus dividends (the value of the S&P index does not include dividends). I assumed of 5%, which is probably generous, considering that the yeild is now 4.3% and one of the highest dividend yields of any large-cap stock.