Re: Re: cant shift out of park

"Jafir Elkurd" wrote: > Do the brake lights work? >
> > > Hey guys, quick question for you. > > 91 honda civic auto HB. Been a great car, but now when I put
> the key > > in, start the car and press the brake, I cant shift out of > park. I > > have to use the shift lock release next to the shifter to be > able to > > get going. Any ideas? It was a very sudden thing... > > AER
So- ive had to put the key in the shift lock release to get the casr out of shift......
AND NOW my brakes dont work- is that related???
HELP!

I bet it is the switch going to your brake pedal - it controls the brake lights and a solenoid (= a mechanical electrically control switch) to your shifter. It makes sure that you have to put your foot on the brake before you shift, as a precaution. A wire might have gotten knocked loose or the switch may actually be bad - you might be able to see what is wrong by looking up from where the pedals are.
Remco
"whybcuzremove" wrote: > > So- ive had to put the key in the shift lock release to get > the casr > > out of shift...... > > > > AND NOW my brakes dont work- is that related??? > > I bet it is the switch going to your brake pedal - it controls > the brake > lights and a solenoid (= a mechanical electrically control > switch) to your > shifter. It makes sure that you have to put your foot on the > brake before > you shift, as a precaution. > A wire might have gotten knocked loose or the switch may > actually be bad - > you might be able to see what is wrong by looking up from > where the pedals > are. > > Remco
so then if i took it to a brake place n had a Diagnotstic test done- they should be able to find the problem right like if it were a wiring problem????

They may be able to find it, although usually they only do brakes. They may be able to fix it, but you'll be paying for their ignorance of electrical things and most likely overcharge you. It is not a reflection of their competance of doing brakes - The problem is really an electrical one (it could be the switch, it could be a wire, it could even be just a fuse).
Do you know anyone that is handy with electrical things and knows how to troubleshoot problems? A person like that would be able to find it pretty quickly.
Remco
my experience with these cars is the computer burns a circuit and the shift lock release quits working. its easy to find out and takes 10 minutes to find out ...1 10 mm socket and a philips head screwdriver required. under passenger floorboard <carpet> you will find 2 computers computer on right side is trans control computer. remove 4 10 mm nuts from false floorboard unplug computer turn plate over remove 3 10 mm bolts attaching computer to false floorboard remove 4 philips screws and open up box . look in bottom corner for burnt electronic components....ASE certified transmission tech...dont buy a new computer for your car repair yours ask me for info snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net

Interesting experience, seeing as neither the ECU not the TCU has any control over the shift lock solenoid. No brake lights and a shift lock solenoid that won't disengage is pretty easy to diagnose.

You do this for a living? I see your posts in a large number of automotive news groups,.

Sounds like a conflict of interest.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik