RE: TACHOMETER - HONDA CIVIC LX 1998

I've posted a number of messages on this forum and I appreciate everyones help, so thanks to all.

My concern today surrounds my '98 Civic Lx's lack of a tachometer, which I would find very useful as my car is equipped with a manual transmission.

As of late I've been considering replacing my OEM gauge cluster with that of a similar year Si or Ex model; both having the tachometer I seek.

I've asked a few Honda dealerships if installation of a new gauge cluster would be a simple process of removing the old, and replacing it with the tachometer equipped cluster - their answer was that such an operation would necessitate re-wiring the car to the tune of a few hundred dollars. I have neither the will nor the inclination to spend a few hundred dollars fooling with the wiring in my car, nor to install an aftermarket tachometer.

Acquiring an Si or Ex gauge cluster is a non-issue for me as there is a ready supply of them on e-bay for little money.

Does anyone have experience regarding this procedure?

Reply to
Ez

I did a direct replacement. If you want to keep your old speedo, you can too. just swap it over to the new cluster. Take the old one out, swap the speedo, drop the new one in. done.

it took me about 5 m>I've posted a number of messages on this forum and I appreciate everyones

Reply to
loewent via CarKB.com

i don't have experience for the 96, but i've done it on several 88-91's and it works fine, no wiring required because this car is sold into many different markets with the only difference being the gauge cluster fitted. i believe the wiring is there for the 96-00's as well, particularly as the igniter has a lead specifically dedicated to the tachometer, and it threads through the rest of the wiring system, presumably terminating at the gauge cluster like the older models.

regarding cluster replacement, i'm not sure it's necessary on this vintage like it is on other models. check out the diagrams on hondaautomotiveparts.com and it shows both the tachometer and fuel/temp gauges fitting into the same cluster, with the same printed circuit, regardless of model. i've not done this particular swap, but i believe it works, and replacing just the two gauges would be a whole /lot/ cheaper than replacing the complete cluster. you get to retain your original speedo too. if you have the workshop manual, check the wiring diagrams, but i'm 98% certain on this. only reason i'm not 100% is because i sold my 2000 civic before i got around to doing it.

let us know how you get on so there's a record on archive!

Reply to
jim beam