Re: Timing Belt Question

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 10:02:04 GMT, "RJ"

I have been thru this recently myself. I wrote the 91 Prelude timing belt break.
If I knew what I know now, I wouldn't go past 110,000 miles on a timing belt and that's going far past conservative estimate of life expectancy of timing belt. I went 187,000 miles. Now I'm paying over $1000 in engine repairs. I had 4 bent valves and 2 broken valve guides.
A local shop is working on the head, looks like about $500. I am taking the engine block to them too and expect that to cost another $300.
New timing belt, alternator belt, pwr steering belt - $80 at NAPA.
Gasket set - $180 (included oil pan gasket)
Tools so far - $75
The car was running like a champ before timing belt broke. I hope to have it back together sometime in May. Luckily I have a 2nd car to drive.
Posting this just for info purposes.
This timing belt debate is an old one. The manufacturer's recommendation of 60k (or 80k w/some cars) is indeed conservative, but to try to go twice either of those numbers is just plain foolish, not to mention expensive.
If it's a car you plan to keep, I would have the T-belt replaced at or before 100k. If it's one you plan to eventually sell, i.e., within the next year or so, I wouldn't spend the money unless the vehicle is mission-critical to your daily tasks and you simply cannot afford to replace the car right now or have it crap out on you unexpectedly. At 120k miles (or more) I would either replace the belt immediately or sell the car immediately. At 120k or greater the original T-belt is, IMO, a ticking bomb.
However... Contrary to what the dealership may try to tell you, I don't believe in replacing the T-belt solely based on the age of the car. However, any major work that requires going in that deep, always replace the T-belt and any other nearby 'wear' items while you're there.

Bubba says...
> However... Contrary to what the dealership may try to > tell you, I don't believe in replacing the T-belt solely > based on the age of the car. However, any major work > that requires going in that deep, always replace the > T-belt and any other nearby 'wear' items while you're > there.
How would you feel about a '94 Accord with 48,000 miles? If not now, when?
Also, if now, what about related stuff (water pump, etc.) at 48,000 miles? Any need to do that as well?
I'll have the car for several more years, at least.

Well, they say in addition to mileage, 5 or 6 years, which you are well over. Sometimes these things do deteriote over time.

People usually do the water pump at the same time as most of the labor is duplicated.

Then that should really be the deciding factor. An investment of much less than a major repair now to avoid a major repair in the future.

If you're absolutely sure the miles are right, then not before 60k but in any event by or before 100k. Keep everything else maintained regularly (proper fluid levels). If you want to spend some money on something have the radiator/cooling system backflushed

When you do the T-belt do everything else in reach.

can you give me a list of everything that is in reach? i am at 85k with my 2000 honda accord EX v6. I'm getting the timing belt changed this weekend. However, i want to know what else they should change at the same time. p.s. they quoted me $400-$500. is that a good price? im in southern california.
writes:

accord v6 timing belt doesnt need changing,as far as a dealer here is concerned,until 168,000 kilometers.I was told this last week,I have a 2001,but I think that wouldnt make a difference. Maybe you are being extra cautious,and there is nothing wrong with that...just thought I would pass that on to you.
writes:

in