Re: Timing Belt Question

I want to hear about people's experience about this, how long a timing can

>last in a 2000 Accord LX ? > >I know 80,000 Miles is recommended, but if you go over say 110,000 is it >still safe ? > >Thanks >

I have been thru this recently myself. I wrote the

91 Prelude timing belt break.

If I knew what I know now, I wouldn't go past

110,000 miles on a timing belt and that's going far past conservative estimate of life expectancy of timing belt. I went 187,000 miles. Now I'm paying over $1000 in engine repairs. I had 4 bent valves and 2 broken valve guides.

A local shop is working on the head, looks like about $500. I am taking the engine block to them too and expect that to cost another $300.

New timing belt, alternator belt, pwr steering belt - $80 at NAPA.

Gasket set - $180 (included oil pan gasket)

Tools so far - $75

The car was running like a champ before timing belt broke. I hope to have it back together sometime in May. Luckily I have a 2nd car to drive.

Posting this just for info purposes.

Reply to
san luis

This timing belt debate is an old one. The manufacturer's recommendation of 60k (or 80k w/some cars) is indeed conservative, but to try to go twice either of those numbers is just plain foolish, not to mention expensive.

If it's a car you plan to keep, I would have the T-belt replaced at or before 100k. If it's one you plan to eventually sell, i.e., within the next year or so, I wouldn't spend the money unless the vehicle is mission-critical to your daily tasks and you simply cannot afford to replace the car right now or have it crap out on you unexpectedly. At 120k miles (or more) I would either replace the belt immediately or sell the car immediately. At 120k or greater the original T-belt is, IMO, a ticking bomb.

However... C>>>I want to hear about people's experience about this, how long a timing can

Reply to
Bubba

How would you feel about a '94 Accord with 48,000 miles? If not now, when?

Also, if now, what about related stuff (water pump, etc.) at 48,000 miles? Any need to do that as well?

I'll have the car for several more years, at least.

Reply to
Peabody

Well, they say in addition to mileage, 5 or 6 years, which you are well over. Sometimes these things do deteriote over time.

People usually do the water pump at the same time as most of the labor is duplicated.

Then that should really be the deciding factor. An investment of much less than a major repair now to avoid a major repair in the future.

Reply to
Seth

If you're absolutely sure the miles are right, then not before 60k but in any event by or before 100k. Keep everything else maintained regularly (proper fluid levels). If you want to spend some money on something have the radiator/cooling system backflushed

When you do the T-belt do everything else in reach.

Reply to
Bubba

can you give me a list of everything that is in reach? i am at 85k with my

2000 honda accord EX v6. I'm getting the timing belt changed this weekend. However, i want to know what else they should change at the same time. p.s. they quoted me $400-$500. is that a good price? im in southern california.

Reply to
James

accord v6 timing belt doesnt need changing,as far as a dealer here is concerned,until 168,000 kilometers.I was told this last week,I have a

2001,but I think that wouldnt make a difference. Maybe you are being extra cautious,and there is nothing wrong with that...just thought I would pass that on to you.
Reply to
slider