Re: Toyota says no evidence 'runaway' Prius happened

Page 2 of 8
Cameo wrote:

First, we don't know if he did anything wrong. Innocent until proven guilty.
Second, if he is guilty, there could charges of speeding, lying to police and wreckless endangerment.

perhaps some jail if he has done shit like this before as the wendy's finger-fraud lady did.
On 3/16/2010 8:33 PM, AZ Nomad wrote:

If you wanna have some fun at Chili's, get a jalapeno and hold it between your thumb and index finger, walk up to the register, hold it up and holler, "Hey! There's a pepper in my fingers!"
Ed Maier
On 3/16/2010 8:59 PM, Ed Maier wrote:

I screwed that up. Should be, "Hey! There's a chili in my fingers!" Duh
Ed Maier

Charges for speeding and lying to police should be forthcoming. I'm not sure what the laws in California are with respect to how much over the posted speed limit a driver has to go before it becomes 'wreckless endangerment'. Still, the police probably just want to see this incident fade away from the front pages as quickly as possible given how they were duped.

Apparently, he has twice filed insurance claims when short of funds. Those insurance claims probably need another look given recent events.
On 3/17/10 6:59 AM, in article hnqg6g$l6f$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org,

How were the police duped? He made a 911 call and they responded. What happens after that is for the investigators to figure out, which they are trying to do.

They fueled the publicity for this guy's scam. They also took the attitude afterward (just as the New York case has taken) that Toyota is some sort of evil entity that needs to be kept away from these 'crime scenes'...as if Toyota is only working to cover things up. Toyota and the NHTSA, like it or not, are still more qualified to investigate this type of car issue than are local police. the police became part of the propaganda machine...most definitely duped by Sikes.
Obveeus wrote:

The actions of the police kept the driver more in check than if they didn't show up. They acted appropriately.
And, if it turns out that he was lying, a new pair of bracelets would be appropriate, too. I think they definitely have him on reckless endangerment (again, so I did a Mike Hunter with the spelling) because he endangered the lives of some many people, particularly the life of a CHP officer.

True.
wreckless endangerment.
well, he didn't wreck...
ACAR wrote:

Sorry, I did a Mike Hunter.

Really want to find out? Then don't lose interest in this issue. An update will likely eventually be published in the papers, but you'll need to dig down to the bottom of page A27 to find it. The TV morons will have lost interest ages ago and won't bother to update it.
--
Tegger

Cameo wrote:

Do the onboard computers store that kind of data?
Tegger wrote:

I think we need to add "get caught" between 'you' and 'rip[ing]'

Everyone here needs to look up the Hybrid Synergy Drive and the center of the magic, the Power Split Device.
Please refrain from speculating until you've read up on this.
Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

Praise Jezuz and amen.
Tegger wrote:

I don't have one, but it's my understanding that it will run in EV mode at speeds under 26MPH at low throttle openings for up to one mile.

Sufficient battery power, light throttle (ie, light power demand), and under 42mph.
wrote in message

So if a person drive into their driveway, presses the brake until they stop, then gets out of the car without shutting the car off (or pressing park), what stops it from 'running away'? If what you say is true and it is still on (and no one is pressing the brake anymore) what keep the car from moving? Are you simply hoping the driveway is flat enough that the car doesn't roll away or does it take a significant amount of gas pedal to provide any forward momentem?
I thought one of the safety features for the Prius was that getting out of the car (opening the door or moving the wireless key away from the vehicle at all) would shut it off. Is that only the 2010 model?

Agreed. Most of this issue is with old people (or other problem drivers). Similiarly, it is silly to expect Prius drivers to know how to avoid an accident even if the car (say the brake system) fails since drivers in pretty much any type of car get into accidents (more often than not) when such a system fails.
wrote in message

Don't forget that the Prius is not like a regular car with an automatic tranny that still applies engine power at idle. The Prius has an electric motor that only provides power when the pedal is pushed;no "idle". The Prius gas motor is not even connected to the wheels until a certain speed is reached. The gas motor does not even -run- until the battery is depleted to some setpoint. AIUI.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
wrote in message

In the Prius, as with any other vehicle, if you stop the vehicle, leave it in drive instead of neutral or park, and take your foot off of the brake, the vehicle will start to creep, whether or not the ICE is running.
As far as getting out of the vehicle with the smart key in your pocket and the engine or drivetrain on, the car starts to beep because the smart key is not detected in the vehicle as a reminder to tell you to shut it off.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)