Re: Toyota says no evidence 'runaway' Prius happened

Page 3 of 8
Obveeus wrote:

Nothing, just like getting out of any car. If you get out and the car is running and in drive it will go forward.

Can't say. Ours will stay 'on' if you get out without the 'key' once it's sensed the key and started. Haven't tried to drive away without the key though. I'll run a little test and report back on that.

Obveeus wrote:

Nothing, just like getting out of any car. If you get out and the car is running and in drive it will go forward.
> I thought one of the safety features for the Prius was that getting out of > the car (opening the door or moving the wireless key away from the vehicle > at all) would shut it off. Is that only the 2010 model? >
Can't say. Ours will stay 'on' if you get out with the 'key' in your pocket once it's sensed the key and started. Haven't tried to drive away without the key though. I'll run a little test and report back on that.

So,on a level surface,if you have your foot OFF the "gas pedal" and brake, and "in gear",the Prius will creep forward? Why?
No "gas pedal" input should mean "no go". after all,it's electric drive. If you're not moving,there should be no juice going to the electric motor.
the "creep" in gas-powered cars is because the torque converter still transmits power to the tranny and wheels when the car is idling.
electric cars don't need to "idle".
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

The creep is built into hybrid vehicles and in electric cars (I believe that the Chevy Volt also has a creep built in) so that drivers who are accustomed to automatic transmission creep do not have to become accustomed to something else. The "creep" feature also makes it easier to maneuver at low speeds in night places like parking spaces and garages.
--

Ray O
(correct punctuation to reply)

The owners in the various groups have been asking this very question since the first cars were delivered. The only answer is that it tries to emulate a regular automatic tranny. They have even asked mother Toyota to provide a means to turn off the creep such as a button, MFD menu, or even an option set by the THHS or TechStream scanners at the dealer.
On 03/16/2010 02:15 PM, Jim Yanik wrote:

among other things, it allows a smoother start. on the 2000 civic auto, the creep element on the torque converter was substantially decreased compared to my 89. it was there for increased idle economy, but it was a royal pita - parking much more risky because there was no smooth take-up point, and throttle response was far from smooth in the low revs. i much prefer the 89 for ease of low speed control.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum

Nothing.
If it's in D, it will creep away just like any other car in the world.
Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

Hey, are you under the insane...wait, I think we settled that a while back.

No.
*IF* you have the "wireless key" as you call it, it will not turn the car off just because the "wireless key" goes out of range.
And, of course, they do sell a model WITHOUT the "wireless key". That's a key that must be placed into the slot to make the power button work. When the key is in the slot and the power is on, the key is locked in and cannot be removed until you power the car off.

Your humble opinion is correct IMHO.
--

Scott in Florida

snip

Actually, there's plenty of documentation re. driver age vs crashes. Lots of news articles are now quoting crash statistics as the spotlight moves from the cars to the drivers. So I guess we should thank the faker for shifting the debate.

No.

Then what's the purpose of having the OFF button? It seems odd that owners would not become acquainted with it on day #1 of owning the car.
On 03/16/2010 07:31 AM, JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

drive a prius dude. prius drivers leave those things on all the time - the vehicle makes no noise so it's real easy to forget.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

jim beam wrote:

That's a bit of an exaggeration of course but it /is/ easy to do. However, if the car is in drive, the instant you take your foot off the brake it will start moving forward and you will be quickly embarrassed and reminded of your lapse. If in park it will sit there and cycle from battery to gas until it runs out of gas and the battery is depleted.
JoeSpareBedroom wrote:

The gas motor may not be running when stopped if the battery is charged but the car is still under battery power and if left on and in drive it will walk away from you

To shut the system down. Just like turning the key to off.
Nasty wrote:

Only if you give it legs.

Do you have some insane notion that electric motors idle?

The Prius has always had artificial creep (ICE running or not) for no other reason than to emulate a regular automatic transmission with a torque converter.
On 03/16/2010 09:33 PM, Daniel who wants to know wrote:

and useful it is too...
--
nomina rutrum rutrum