Re: Toyota says no evidence 'runaway' Prius happened

The Prius has always had artificial creep (ICE running or not) for no other reason than to emulate a regular automatic transmission with a torque converter.

Reply to
Daniel who wants to know

and useful it is too...

Reply to
jim beam

among other things, it allows a smoother start. on the 2000 civic auto, the creep element on the torque converter was substantially decreased compared to my 89. it was there for increased idle economy, but it was a royal pita - parking much more risky because there was no smooth take-up point, and throttle response was far from smooth in the low revs. i much prefer the 89 for ease of low speed control.

Reply to
jim beam

I don't have one, but it's my understanding that it will run in EV mode at speeds under 26MPH at low throttle openings for up to one mile.

Reply to
Leftie

On Mar 16, 8:00=A0pm, dr_jeff wrote: wreckless endangerment.

well, he didn't wreck...

Reply to
ACAR

On Mar 16, 10:36=A0am, Nasty wrote: snip

Actually, there's plenty of documentation re. driver age vs crashes. Lots of news articles are now quoting crash statistics as the spotlight moves from the cars to the drivers. So I guess we should thank the faker for shifting the debate.

Reply to
ACAR

Charges for speeding and lying to police should be forthcoming. I'm not sure what the laws in California are with respect to how much over the posted speed limit a driver has to go before it becomes 'wreckless endangerment'. Still, the police probably just want to see this incident fade away from the front pages as quickly as possible given how they were duped.

Apparently, he has twice filed insurance claims when short of funds. Those insurance claims probably need another look given recent events.

Reply to
Obveeus

I did text once. I was at a conference with multiple simultaneous tracks and thought that my boss should see the session I was in. So I texted her rather than be distracting to the people around me. A few minutes later she showed up.

My fourteen year old god-daughter, on the other hand, hit 15,000 in one month. Now, that's incoming and outgoing but still, that's a lot of messages. I really need to see a transcript but I won't live long enough to read through 15,000 messages.

Reply to
dgk

How were the police duped? He made a 911 call and they responded. What happens after that is for the investigators to figure out, which they are trying to do.

Reply to
E. Meyer

They fueled the publicity for this guy's scam. They also took the attitude afterward (just as the New York case has taken) that Toyota is some sort of evil entity that needs to be kept away from these 'crime scenes'...as if Toyota is only working to cover things up. Toyota and the NHTSA, like it or not, are still more qualified to investigate this type of car issue than are local police. the police became part of the propaganda machine...most definitely duped by Sikes.

Reply to
Obveeus

If left on and in drive, it will move away from you--just like how every other car works.

Is this confusing to you? Toyota designed the Prius to ACT just like every other car everyone has ever driven. It does that quite admirably, frankly. They did a stupendous job.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

No.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Nothing.

If it's in D, it will creep away just like any other car in the world.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

No.

*IF* you have the "wireless key" as you call it, it will not turn the car off just because the "wireless key" goes out of range.

And, of course, they do sell a model WITHOUT the "wireless key". That's a key that must be placed into the slot to make the power button work. When the key is in the slot and the power is on, the key is locked in and cannot be removed until you power the car off.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Sufficient battery power, light throttle (ie, light power demand), and under 42mph.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Everyone here needs to look up the Hybrid Synergy Drive and the center of the magic, the Power Split Device.

Please refrain from speculating until you've read up on this.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

That guy got convicted for misleading authorities.

Reply to
Cameo

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

for what purpose?

Which is a drawback inherent in the automatic transmission/IC engine. (that must idle)

so the electric car consumes battery power even when there's no pedal input....if the brake is on,you're consuming battery power.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Wow. There really is no limit to stupidity. Do you know ANYTHING about a Prius?

Reply to
Nasty

I think we need to add "get caught" between 'you' and 'rip[ing]'

Reply to
Nasty