Re: Toyota says no evidence 'runaway' Prius happened

Page 4 of 8

If left on and in drive, it will move away from you--just like how every other car works.
Is this confusing to you? Toyota designed the Prius to ACT just like every other car everyone has ever driven. It does that quite admirably, frankly. They did a stupendous job.

for what purpose?

Which is a drawback inherent in the automatic transmission/IC engine. (that must idle)

so the electric car consumes battery power even when there's no pedal input....if the brake is on,you're consuming battery power.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

Not my car. It doesn't have a "drive."
dr_jeff wrote:

What does it have <he asked half knowing he would sigh at the answer>?

He must mean that he has a manual transmission.
It's obvious to me that the Prius would be perceived as an "automatic" to its drivers. It therefore follows that drivers would expect the Prius to behave like a traditional automatic-transmission ICE car, and that Toyota would design the Prius to behave as such.
--
Tegger

Tegger wrote:

<sigh>
Interesting point. Even though the gear selector is marked like a traditional automatic, "P", "N", "D", etc., and there is no clutch pedal, it really does kind of act somewhat like a manual since there is no automatic shifting from 1st, to 2nd, etc. Sorta harkens back to the VW "automatic/manual" tranny.
It's really an ingenious piece of engineering. Too bad it's in such a crappy little box. But, my wife consistently gets in the low 50's.

Comapred to what? I don't own one, but I have been in them. It's no BMW, but for the price it is an incredible deal. I find it as comfortable as a Camry (not that Camry's are world class in comfort). The only significant negatives I am aware of are the narrow width and the horrible view out the rear. It is not really my cup of tea, but I don't think I'd call it a "crappy little box."
Ed
C. E. White wrote:

I do own one, as I've previously stated. Bought it new in '07. The more you ride in one the more you see and feel. I think it has a bad ride, uncomfortable seats, weird and rubbery steering, it wallows around turns and there's a lot of wind noise at highway speed. It feels cheap and boxy to me. It's a technological marvel but it is, IMHO, far inferior to a Camry.

Toyota makes little to no money on the Prius; it's an "image" car, and is expensive to build. It wouldn't surprise me at all to find out that they've cut a /lot/ of corners in an attempt to keep the line from being a major money pit.
--
Tegger

Nasty wrote:

"it has a bad ride, uncomfortable seats, weird and rubbery steering, it wallows around turns and there's a lot of wind noise at highway speed."
That sounds a lot like my '94 Accord.
Actually, the main problem my Accord has is that the power goes to the wrong wheels...............I never have been a big fan of FWD, but the car was free and it is very reliable. I should finally hit 80,000 miles today.
pws wrote:

Really? We have a 2000 Accord and love it. Superb handling but I agree that it's not a great long haul car. Sneaking up on 150K. By some standards in here that's nearly a new car!
Nasty wrote:

This '94 Accord LX is actually pretty nice for what it is. Very good gas mileage.
It has pretty high wind noise, but this is also a very lightweight car compared to many other 4 door sedans, and I like that.
The seats could be a lot better. This car is cheap to insure, however, and it doesn't attract the attention of the various ticket-writers, so there are definitely some advantages.
The reliability is what I like about it the most, and at the low miles it has, it will hopefully remain reliable for some time to come.

Especially if it was assembled in Japan. Was it?
Cameo wrote:

How do I find out where it was assembled? Also, this is a 1995 model, I often think it is a 1994 model for some reason.
I finally hit 80,000 miles yesterday!

Look at the VIN number in the windshield.
If the first character is a 1 = US assembly J = Japan assembly.
If the 10th character is a P = 1993 R = 1994 S = 1995 T = 1996.

It's probably broken-in by now, but give it a bit longer to be sure.
--
Tegger

Tegger wrote:

Thank you sir, this is indeed a 1995 model Accord LX that was assembled in Japan.

Hehe, I have put about 3,000 of the miles on the car. Most of the miles are from Grandma driving it back and forth 200 miles each direction.
She did not run the A/C enough, and the entire system was replaced for $1200.00 last year, so that works great now.
This is one of the few cars I have owned where everything works without any issues.

Lucky you! Now you've got not only a car with unusually low milage, but even a year younger than you thought. No such luck for me. It is a '94 LX, though still running fine at almost 290 K miles. But then it was also assembled in Japan.

Now that could become my problem, too, because I don't use the A/C much either. Not much need for it where I live.
Cameo wrote:

Excellent! I hope that mine gives such good service. This car was in one accident but it was repaired nicely and it drives without issue. My grandma never told us about that one.
She was 82 at the time and had no intention of giving up her license. She finally retired from driving in October of 2009 at the age of 92.
pws wrote:

If the first digit in the VIN is a 1, 4 or 5, it was assembled in the US. If it is a 2 or 3, it was assembled in Canada or Mexico.
If the first digit is a J, it was assembled in Japan.
Jeff

To be more precise: Canada is "2", and Mexico is "3".
I don't think Honda makes Accords in Canada or Mexico.
--
Tegger