Re: Toyota says no evidence 'runaway' Prius happened

Do the onboard computers store that kind of data?

Reply to
Nasty

Hey, are you under the insane...wait, I think we settled that a while back.

Reply to
Nasty

Praise Jezuz and amen.

Reply to
Nasty

Nasty wrote in news:4ba180e1$0$4943$ snipped-for-privacy@unlimited.newshosting.com:

Never having driven a Prius, I'm dependent on others' descriptions of its behavior.

I gather the Prius is set up so that it mimics a conventional car's automatic transmission "creep" when at a standstill and in Drive. The "creep" would be provided by activating the electric propulsion motor when the brakes are released, the amount of activation being in inverse proportion to foot pressure on the brake pedal.

Reply to
Tegger

Yes I make typos all the time. One of the computers I use won't spell check Outlook Express posts (it could be fixed, but I keep putting off the fix). When I have the time, I usually use a different program to check the spelling, but I was in hurry when I wrote the referenced append. I saw the error after the post was out of my control, but I figured 99.5% of all humans would properly translate the typo without comment.

BTW, did you lose the shift key off your TRS80 Keyboard?

My interns are all female Swedish models and they were out getting some sun yesterday.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Tegger, my comment was NOT directed at you. Pleased be assured of that.

Reply to
Nasty

Pictures at 11?????

Reply to
Scott in Florida

Sorry, I did a Mike Hunter.

Reply to
dr_jeff

The actions of the police kept the driver more in check than if they didn't show up. They acted appropriately.

And, if it turns out that he was lying, a new pair of bracelets would be appropriate, too. I think they definitely have him on reckless endangerment (again, so I did a Mike Hunter with the spelling) because he endangered the lives of some many people, particularly the life of a CHP officer.

True.

Reply to
dr_jeff

Not my car. It doesn't have a "drive."

Reply to
dr_jeff

The Prius is set up to behave just like every other car you've ever driven. No surprises here, no retraining. It creeps while "in gear", and the braking system (at least on my 07) behaves astoundingly perfectly given what's going on under the hood.

Toyota really did a masterful job making the black magic behave like everyone expects a car to behave.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Nasty wrote in news:4ba1a0d8$0$4961$ snipped-for-privacy@unlimited.newshosting.com:

My question is:Why have that creep? It means the motor consumes power even while you have the brake on. What purpose does it have?

Gas motors HAVE to idle and it's a characteristic of auto trannies to transfer torque even at idle;thus the creep. Theoretically,there should be no movement without pedal input in an electric car.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

jim bean is already jealous of my brilliant mind, great looks, and fabulous wealth. Posting pictures of my interns might send him oer the edge into a deep depression, so I'll spare jim and the group.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

My email box is open....

I'm not like the others, I won't share the pics with the world...

LOL

Reply to
Scott in Florida

What does it have ?

Reply to
Nasty

Nasty wrote in news:4ba25260$0$4884 $ snipped-for-privacy@unlimited.newshosting.com:

He must mean that he has a manual transmission.

It's obvious to me that the Prius would be perceived as an "automatic" to its drivers. It therefore follows that drivers would expect the Prius to behave like a traditional automatic-transmission ICE car, and that Toyota would design the Prius to behave as such.

Reply to
Tegger

Interesting point. Even though the gear selector is marked like a traditional automatic, "P", "N", "D", etc., and there is no clutch pedal, it really does kind of act somewhat like a manual since there is no automatic shifting from 1st, to 2nd, etc. Sorta harkens back to the VW "automatic/manual" tranny.

It's really an ingenious piece of engineering. Too bad it's in such a crappy little box. But, my wife consistently gets in the low 50's.

Reply to
Nasty

Comapred to what? I don't own one, but I have been in them. It's no BMW, but for the price it is an incredible deal. I find it as comfortable as a Camry (not that Camry's are world class in comfort). The only significant negatives I am aware of are the narrow width and the horrible view out the rear. It is not really my cup of tea, but I don't think I'd call it a "crappy little box."

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Nasty wrote in news:4ba25dd9$0$4868$ snipped-for-privacy@unlimited.newshosting.com:

Do you need to shift into 2nd manually, or is it more like a CVT?

Reply to
Tegger

CVT.

Reply to