Re: transmission == toast ?

"Burk" wrote in news:472a796d$0$24279$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

I have done the unthinkable. My transmission was overfilled by about > 20 oz of fluid. Good thing I used HG ATF! huh? I did the fluid > change myself, no one else to blame. I drove for 2000 miles then the > transmission started acting up. Now, it wont drive

"Won't drive" is awfully vague.

Please help us help you by providing a great many necessary details. You can start by giving make, model, year, engine and mileage.

From there you can supply specifics on the transmission's behavior, such as precisely under what conditions it "acts up". These conditions would include engine temperature, shift points, ambient environmental conditions, exactly when it started acting up, that sort of thing.

Failure to provide these details will result in the involuntary invocation of the ghost of Curly, who will rise from the grave and intone, IT'S NOT PSYCHIC WEDNESDAY!

and the fluid > smells like toast. >

I like toast, but not in a transmission.

Reply to
Tegger

you are right tegger, quite vague.

2001 honda civic ex, sedan. auto trans. 95,544 miles.

the engine seems fine, but from a stop sign i cant get moveing. the rpm goes up, but the car wont move. really.

before the final moments today [final moments = condition the car is in now], it was shifting from 2 to 3 and instead of droping rpm between shifts the rpm went up.

I hope this helps, I am just disgusted right now, trying to come to terms with all this. I am beyond denial I beleive.

Tom

Reply to
Burk

Tegger,

this is likely what happened. After talking with my mechanic, he said that the fluid could have looked overfilled if the oil pump wasnt pumping, then i find the information below which points to the main tranny oil pump blowing.

What should I do now? Tom

The local dealership has said they are 99% sure (without opening the case) the main tranny oil pump blew. Apparently this is a critical internal part which requires replacement of the entire transmission.

I have been looking for Honda TSB 04036, which may explain my problem and give me some leverage on negotiations with the service center.

Bulletin #: 04036 Sequence #: 10010754 Date: 01/07/2005 Component Name: 103000 power train:automatic transmission Make: Honda Model: Civic Year: 2002 Summary: Vehicle cannot move when drive is selected; malfunction indicator lamp comes on or d indicator blinks with automatic transmission diagnostic trouble code p0730. *tt supercedes 04-036, dated 07/13/2004. *tt

Reply to
Burk

"Burk" wrote in news:472a89b5$0$28838$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

Sorry for the late response. Been busy.

Go here:

in with username lib and password access Choose Auto Repair Reference Center from the menu at left. Navigate to your car. The TSB is there.

The TSB shows that a worn 2nd clutch can cause this problem.

Reply to
Tegger

Excellent information tegger. that bulletin really hits the target. i wish my D would have been blinking which would have sealed the diagnosis.

here is what the honda dealer tells me. i have a p0730 gear ratio out of adjustment, and p0740 clutch 'issues' or slippage i forget the description. its not covered under an extended warranty. i have taken excellent care of this vehicle, this is the strangest failure i have encountered in my life with cars.

Reply to
fish