Re: Whiny fuel economy/EPA story on NBC

I saw a very whiny story on NBC news the other night - complaining

>about cars not getting nearly the mileage their owners were led to >believe by the EPA stickers. This always happens when gas prices go up >and the media is complicit in the "blame the EPA for my lousy mileage" >mentality. There was NO MENTION of driving habits, maintenance or >inflating tires properly. > >They even had the nerve to criticize the EPA for neglecting to let the >car idle in traffic for a while during the test. DUH... should you >complain that your mileage won't be quite up to the estimate if you are >NOT MOVING while your engine is running? > >Assuming the tests are fair across manufacturers, I believe it's pretty >easy to achieve the EPA numbers (at a minimum) in everyday driving if >you drive conservatively and take care of your car. My 4-cyl 87 Camry >was rated at 25/31 and I consistently made 27 or 28 mpg around town for >the 15-1/2 years I owned it. It easily did 40 mpg or better on the >highway at 65. My current 03 Matrix is also rated at 25/31 and I am >consistently hitting 30 mpg in mostly suburban driving. It's not quite >as good as the Camry on the highway (35 or so) but I also drive it >faster. > >Come on people, if you are myopic enough to buy gas guzzling cars, let >the tires go flat and drive with a lead foot, then at least stop >complaining... and please.... LEARN HOW TO DRIVE > >Thanks for reading my little rant...

If you want to get decent milage the US needs to start getting low-sulphur diesel and SOON, so that the newer generatiosn of Diesel engines can be brought over.

a VW lupo diesel will do 60mpg, an audi A8, with a 4l twin-turbo diesel can manage 40mpg on the highway (and thats a big heavy car!)

I also agree that driving style has a lot to do with it - I did a run from atlanta to sailsbury, NC on sunday - there and back averaged

30mpg, on a vehicle with an EPA highway rating of 26, and the return journey had 2700lb of lexan in it. That was from an 87 dodge 3l, with the check engine light on, imagine what i'll get when i get the engine working graet (i got it about 4 weeks ago)

Basically comes down to 3 things

1) driving style - most americans, it seems, have little knowledge of smooth driving, or wide spacial awareness. they don't anticipate or aggregate. The significantly lower standard of driving required to pass the test in the US compaired with the UK, also means that drivers look for bigger vehicles for safety.

2) Mechanicals - American engines are not the best out-putters of power. Tend to be big engines, that are then tuned for low-end torque and made quiet. The abundance of automatic boxes also makes it less efficient. Side impact bars, safety cages etc. are also often missing in the smaller cars, meaning that peolpe look to the big heavy vehcles for safety.

3) legislative. Car tags, at least here in georgia, are priced on vehicle value, in the UK, they're emissiosn dependant. Smaller engined cars cost less. the lower safety requirements, and the incrased reliance on active, secondary devices, such as airbags, and away from better stronger chassis, or better handling (admittedly, the last is hard to legislate) . Silly stuff too, such as Arnie proposing the Pruis be allowed to use carpool lanes, even when only 1 person in it 9the prius's 1.5l engine, is the same size as that in my civic, and my civic is a HELL of a lot lighter with no batteries or motors to feed/carry - so can i run my civic in the california carpool lanes on my own too, eh? nope, didn't think so.
Reply to
K`Tetch

Partially agree. Would you want to be broad sided by an American Car/SUV/Truck in a Lupo? Hell even being in a Polo would be fatal.

I love the A8, Mid sized Bimmers & the new GTi Diesels. Wonderful fun cars to drive, cheap on fuel etc. I agree on the Diesel. We should have Low Sulphur available for those of us that want it esp since we grow so much Rapeseed/Canola over here.

Agreed. Though poorly designed roads/motorways have as big an impact on smooth driving. One "law abiding" idiot switching lanes in front of faster moving traffic & you've got a 3 hour tie up (assuming that they don't cause a wreck)

Big slow revving engines last longer & can use as little or even less than a smaller engine working harder (compare the V8 Lincoln's to a Turbo Saab to see what I mean). Auto Boxes can be more efficient than they have been (for eg, the new twin clutch trannies in the Ferrari's and Porsche) Fast, efficient and potentially much more reliable.

It's hard to swerve out of the way of someone running a stop sign or a red light. I like the UK idea of standard bumper heights on trucks and under-runners (or whatever they're called) on the sides of larger trucks (Lorry's/Juggernaughts).

Also most North American vehicles are designed for our climate. Europe and Asia is much more temperate and thus the vehicles don't need quite the same HVAC system we do over here.

Legislatively I think mandating increases in fuel economy would be a good starting point. Imagine a Corvette with a Hybrid V8. 500 HP gas plus 100HP electric with massive torque on demand then 2 cylinders running in stop and go. Or a 4X4 SUV with Electric rear drive train for acceleration and generation. There's no reason we can't hit mid to high 40's on gasoline with the size and shape of vehicles we have now. Add to it an electric battery pack chargeable from home & you're off to the races.

Not touching the California thing. I have no clue what the objectives are down there.

Please explain to me why there is this notion that economy = deprivation

is a 6000 square foot Solar home more wasteful than a 1200 square foot traditional home? I believe homes are where we should be focusing the economy on, (greater gains fewer $). end of my rant

Reply to
full Name

Hachiroku, TOPPOSTING!!!!

hachiroku