Rear-Ended; New Bumper?

Page 2 of 3
E. Meyer wrote:

    Maybe the idiots where you are are more stupid than where I live. I have driven a lot of miles and there haven't been a large number of people that will try to squeeze in between my vehicles and the one in front. But that's truly not relevant to the practice I mentioned.

    That is not my concern. I am not going to make room for someone behind me and then have the fellow behind him bump me in to the vehicle in front of me. It's only time and it's more affordable than repairs, especially unnecessary repairs.
On 7/9/09 8:48 AM, in article h34sfm$os8$ snipped-for-privacy@news.datemas.de, "Brian Smith"

What can I say. Dallas was just rated the number two place for road-rage in the US (just behind New York). You have to go with the hand you're dealt.

E. Meyer wrote:

    Well, I have to say that is too bad. I guess they'll just have to try harder for the next time period until they are number one. :^)
Elle wrote:

That design was why I chose a Civic Si over a VW Golf in '86. (The VW salesman cheerfully explained the Golf's lack of a 5MPH bumper: "That's what the collision insurance is for!") And it survived at least one significant impact unscathed.

Except that Elle's Civic has a 2.5mph bumper, whihc kind of undermines your apparent point. Seems to have survived this incident just fine.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Tegger wrote:

The design is nearly the same. The Golf had, near as I can tell, a "0.5MPh bumper."

Happy endings are always nice.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

Yeah, you really have to check them over after a rear-ender. My wife got it in her 92 Seville. The bumper was shoved forward on one side and some other damage. I went to the Caddy dealer to pick it up after it was supposededly fixed. The bumper was replaced and looked fine. I got down on the ground and looked underneath. There was a small shock absorber on each side that went to the bumper. The one on the impact side had been damaged and compressed. Did they replace it? Hell no, just shoved a bunch of shims behind it and rebolted it. I was pissed, raised hell and got it fixed right. Talk about shade tree mechanics, at a Caddy Dealership, no less. Really tightened my Van Allen belt !
Forrest wrote:

I got some damage in a 10 or 15mph rear-ending at a yield sign. The insurance company called a Honda dealership for a price for a "replacement bumper" and paid me the $600 they quoted. When I went to pick it up it was just the skin, unpainted, without the collapsible supports. I ended up buying the supports and just repainting the scratches on the original "bumper." We need to get some redefinitions of what constitutes a "bumper."
Elle wrote:

If you are unhurt, just go for the cosmetic repair.
Of course if it were me, I'd be screamin' neck, back and other maladies and interviewing sleazy lawyers!
JT

and running the risk of being caught at fraud.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

You're probably right... Sleazy lawyers get away with murder but poor ol' me gets life in the slammer for trying to squeeze a few bux for my "pain 'n suffering!"
Oh well...
JT

Why's that?
--
Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
joe at hits - buffalo dot com
Joe wrote:

    It's the American way. You must recognize their battle cry, SUE, SUE, SUE! :^)

I recognize the battle cry, just never understood the selfish reasoning. People never fail to prove to me that my expectations are too high. And they're not very high at all...
--
Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
joe at hits - buffalo dot com
Joe wrote:

    I don't understand the mentality of it either, Joe. The world is driven by greed and greedy people seem to be driven to the extreme rather than by reason.

The discussion isn't about people. The discussion is about corporations, specifically insurance companies, and their way--"deny, deny, deny". Where do you think the "back pain" came from?
Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

    You're incorrect. The original discussion was about the damage to Elle's vehicle. This off shoot of the topic came about when this was posted the following;
> > If you are unhurt, just go for the cosmetic repair. > > Of course if it were me, I'd be screamin' neck, back and other > maladies and interviewing sleazy lawyers! > > > JT
    That is where the people came into the discussion. When it was made obvious that there are people with extremely low ethics and standards out there, that only think about what they can get out of others (whether businesses or other people) for nothing.
Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

Man... You said a mouthfull there.
I have only been in a three accidents in my driving experience. None were my fault but they all occurred back in the good ol' days - pre 1970.
In every case, settlement was pretty routine and prompt and no lawyer was ever consulted.
But I fear that today's situation would be drastically different. It seems that no one is up to facing their responsibility. As a result, the trial lawyers are enjoying a field day.
BTW, if you are in a physical damage accident only, forget about any of these guys offering their services. If you're injured, they'll be banging down your door!
Grrrrr
JT
Joe wrote:

I'll have you know that my expectations are very high... Six figures or more!!!
JT