RECALL NOTICE- 1999-02 Accords

I just received my recall notice in the mail today. It states; It applies only to certain 1999-2002 Accords that have auto. transmissions
"The ignition switch contains an interlock lever to prevent key removal
unless the shift lever is in the Park position. If the interlock lever is NOT working correctly, it may be possible to turn the ignition switch to the OFF position and remove the key without shifting into Park. If the driver does not shift to Park and set the parking break before removing the key, the vehicle could roll and a crash could occur".
Question for Honda employee: I just tested my vehicle and it does NOT have a problem. My 1999 Accord has an interlock lever that is working the exact way it is suppose to work. In my case, should I take my car to the dealer to have it checked?
--
NEWSGROUP SUBSCRIBERS MOTTO
YES!

Howard, Thanks for the information. I'm due for some service next month or later this month and will take the letter with me and show it to the service manager. Jason

--
NEWSGROUP SUBSCRIBERS MOTTO
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com says...

discovered once when I got back in to start it. The parking brake saved my bacon.
Randy

Randy, You were wise to make a habit of making use of the parking brake. I also have made a habit of always applying the parking brake. I'm amazed when Sarah rarely makes use of the parking brake--I guess that it never became a habit for her.
--
NEWSGROUP SUBSCRIBERS MOTTO
are their vin numbers to check,or do they all need to be checked?

Slider, I don't know. I advise you to visit the local Honda shop and discuss this issue with the service manager. Show him your VIN number. I found out about this about 6 months ago via the internet but only received a letter about it from Honda Inc. yesterday. They probably will eventully send you a letter unless they don't have your address in their database. visit: www.alldata.com Jason

--
NEWSGROUP SUBSCRIBERS MOTTO
snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com says...

setting the parking brake and turning off the engine with the transmission left in 'Park'. If you can turn off the engine and REMOVE the key then you need the service. But I think I would talk to the service center to make sure if you need to have them check over the vehicle anyway if the ignition switch/shifter interlock is functioning properly and you received a notice.
Randy
are these american sold or Canadian sold accords?
says...

says...

Hello, You asked "are these american sold or Canadian sold accords? I don't know. I live in California and my car was made in Japan. I don't know whether or not Canadian Accords are included in the recall. I advise you to write down your VIN number and visit the local Honda dealership and show the service manager your VIN number and ask him to run it on the computer. Visit this site and download the info. show it to the service manager www.alldata.com www.nhtsa.com

--
NEWSGROUP SUBSCRIBERS MOTTO
On 4/2/2005 11:39 AM Jason spake these words of knowledge:

Hmmm. As I understand it, all Accords sold in the United States are manufactured in Marysville, Ohio, and have been for quite a few years. I didn't find any link from Honda stating that, though. It seems to me that this has been the case for 15 years or so.
If you have not got factory DRLs, and your odometer measures in miles rather than kilometers, then your Accord was manufactured in Ohio and sold in the United States, *almost* assuredly.
RFT!!! Dave Kelsen
--
... I wish life were more like a musical so when I burst into song at
the bus stop, people would stop staring at me. It might also make them

manufacture. I don't remember which character or what it is. I do know that mine was manufactured in Japan also.
Randy
You don't have to go to the dealer to verify recalls etc.
Honda has a free online service for Honda Owners. Click on this link and give them your VIN number. https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/login.asp?brand=honda
If the first letter of your VIN number is "J" your Honda was assembled in Japan. I don't think there is any quality differences between Japanese and American assembled cars.
If Honda Owner Link does not apply to Canadians, the link should instruct you where the Canadian Owner's link is.

that owner link says my vin is invalid.Is this an American thing only?
says...

Sorry about telling Canadians to go to Honda OwnerLink. That is only for Americans not North Americans.
Canadians should Google "Honda Canada Inc." as I just did.
It says if I moved to Canada and brought a Honda, Canada Honda would do the recall.
I have not lived in Canada for years and all I know is we have better weather here in California.