Recomended Service for two used Hondas I just bought???

98 Accord EX V-6 automatic with 83,000 miles for myself and my Daughter just bought a 98 Civic EX Manual Tranny with 72,000 miles.

Of course I have no Idea how these cars were treated in the past so I would like to do what I can to get them in good shape as far as fluids go. What would you suggest I replace?

Anything you can offer on the following would be appreciated:

  1. Change oil. I'd like to change to a synthetic oil?? (if it will be beneficial)

  1. Drain flush and refill coolant.

  2. drain and refill Tranny fluid. (I read in another post Honda sells a manual tranny fluid?)

  1. Flush old brake fluid and replace with new by bleeding the brakes.?? (Worried about pumping brake pedal ruining master cylinder. I'm in the process now of replacing my daughter MC on her Toyota)

what else would you recommend? we both hope to keep these cars for many more miles...

Thanks

Sr

Reply to
Steve

simply service in accordance with the owners manual. regarding your listed points,

  1. sure. synthetic doesn't mean much for a honda. some people swear by it, but if you go to a junk yard and look at all the old 300k, 400k+ honda wrecks that have got that far on ordinary oil, i don't think it's worth the money.
  2. yes. read tegger's post on the "overheating integra" thread for good advice.
  3. sure. yes.

  1. yes. personally, i think the pumping fear is based on old wives tales. cylinders can leak on fluid change because the seals can contract when their chemical environment changes. and that can and does happen regardless of whether the cylinder was pumped or not. change the fluid, bleed the system thoroughly, and if it leaks, you know the seals were shot, but i doubt you'll have much problem at that mileage.

Reply to
jim beam

You may want to take a look at these service interval guidelines.

Eric

Reply to
Eric

Timing belt replacement due on both if not already done.

Reply to
M.Paul