Refilling completely empty a/c

I recently installed the a/c system from a parts car I had to my daily driver that did not have a/c (from a 1994 Honda Civic LX to a 1993 Civic VX) it was a direct bolt in. All the o-rings and such are in excellent condition. However, due to my lack of experience, I am now unsure how to charge it up. It requires 19.4oz. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks, Timothy

Reply to
botardtim

I would suggest that you take to someone who does A/C work because first of all you need to pull a vacuum on the A/C system and let it set for a while under vacuum to remove the moisture... then you can charge the system with the appropriate amount and type of freon.

----------- Elbert snipped-for-privacy@me.com

Reply to
Elbert

Reply to
NHAnimator

Reply to
NHAnimator

The one thing about a "kit" is that they are made to just add freon....not to fill up the freon from dead empty. IF you don't pull a vaccum on the A/C system then you are wasting your time, when you have replaced a major component or have swapped things out like the original poster described.

I also would suggest not to screw with those "A/C Refill Kits" anyway, because you really need to know what you are doing before you even think about screwing with the A/C system.

Most people don't have the appropriate type vaccum pump you need to service an A/C system. Its not just simply run down to the store and buy a can of freon and the little hose adapter and you are in business. You can get hurt if you don't know what you are doing.

Save yourself some headaches and consider the safety factor and just carry the car to someone that has the proper tools and equipment to service the A/C system. I'm telling you there is an element of danger with this....not to play around , but to make sure you understand that. Its kind of like messing around with home wiring...you think its really easy until you get the crap shocked out of you then you tend to either do some better research and learn more or you just pay someone else to do it for you. Its one thing to get shocked by 120 v its another to get hit with 220v.

There are procedures to follow when charging the A/C system and there are distinct fittings and a high and low pressure side. Yes freon is expensive but if you get it done right....its a one time deal.

The other facet of having a Vaccum pulled is not only does it get rid of moisture in the system you also can tell if you have any leaks in the system prior to charging it with the expensive freon that can go up in smoke.

Not trying to scare anyone but its far better to play it safe.