removing shifter cable from automatic transmission on a 1988 Honda Prelude Si

I just bought this '88 Honda prelude Si 4ws and it needs a transmission. I've removed everything but the shifter cable. All i need to know is how i do i separate the cable from the tranny. It's an automatic. Do i need to disconnect it from the shifter first, drop the tranny, then take the cable out or what. I'm stumped and i could use some advice a.s.a.p. Thanks everyone.

....... Danholiosis .......

Reply to
Danhole

The cable disconnects at the transmission. The instructions in the service manual simply say, "Remove the shift cable from the transmission." The illustration points out a cotter pin and a control pin at the end of the control cable although I can't tell which comes out first.

Reply to
Charles

By the way, you'll probably have to adjust the throttle control cable when the new transmission goes in. A slight misadjustment can cause significant shifting problems. (I hope that wasn't the reason for the transmission replacement.)

Reply to
Charles

Tonight i was working on the car and i found the cotter pin and control pin you mentioned. unfortunately removing the cotter pin seemed to do nothing for me. And also there seems to be some kind of washer thing over the head of the bolt that goes through the control pin. This makes it so i cant get any kind of wrench over the bolt. There is little room to work with so i am limited to the tools i can use. Maybe there is a special tool i need? Anything will help

THANKS ............Danholio..................

Reply to
Danhole

A slight misadjustment can cause significant

is there any trick to doing this, or is it a difficult task?

thank you ..............danholio...........

Reply to
Danhole

Verify that the cotter pin and control pin of which we speak was covered by the torque converter cover. (Removing that cover is the step just prior to removing the shift cable. The attachment point of the shift cable is very close to the gear teeth. Can you see the gear teeth?)

Maybe you are labeling the entire bracket that connects to the shift cable end piece the "control pin." Upon close examination of the illustration in the service manual I note that the cotter pin is the only thing holding the control pin in place. The cotter pin goes through the ears of the control pin. Once the cotter pin is removed, pull the control pin out and the shift cable is free.

Reply to
Charles

Loosen the top and bottom locknuts on the throttle control cable.

Press down on the throttle control lever with your left hand until it stops.

While pressing down on the throttle control lever pull on the throttle link at the rear of the engine compartment with your right hand.

Remove all throttle control cable free play by gradually turning the top locknut. The control lever should begin to move at precisely the same time as the throttle link.

When set tighten the bottom locknut and recheck the adjustment. Verify that the cable moves freely by operating the accelerator pedal.

(Honda technicians have an improved adjustment technique using a hydraulic pressure gauge.)

Reply to
Charles

DUDE you rock, i got the cable out no problem after you gave me that info.

Reply to
Danhole