Replace or clean EGR?

2001 EX-V6 Accord with 170,000 miles. Just got a P0401 code. The check engine light went out on it's own (TCS light was also on when this occurred) then lit up again a week later.

Trying to find information on the procedure for cleaning the EGR. Not much out there. Found 1 article stating special tools are required.

Anybody attempt this with the standard tools one might find in a typical home garage? Trying to determine if I should attempt this myself or just buy a new EGR. They're expensive ($200 plus) but maybe not depending on how much effort it takes to clean and drill it out and what the special reamer costs, especially if I'm only going to use it one.

Any insight from those experienced in this would be appreciated.

Reply to
Seth

bbtaco

This won't do the OP any good. The extended warranty is good for only

80,000 miles, but this Accord has 170,000 miles on it.
Reply to
High Tech Misfit

Original Poster: Did you mean the valve itself? Or only the ports and passageways?

I have a follow-up question for the masses out there: I had the same prob where insufficient EGR Flow causes this P0401 code and we know the fix for it, but I was told that over time if not remedied it will fail the EGR valve...on the other hand I've also been told that these EGR valves pretty much never fail? Well do they? And is this true?

Kev> bbtaco wrote:

FunkyKev

Well, it's too late for me warranty wise, but that's the instructions on doing the entire service.

Thanks

But I don't think I'll go through all of that, especially the drilling. Looks a little beyond what I think I'm willing to go through, I may just use these instructions to get at the valve itself and try cleaning it out with some pipe cleaners and a little carb cleaner. Vehicle went 170k without being drilled, a good cleaning should buy me a lot more time.

Reply to
Seth

But the detailed instructions on what they do are there, so it's a good start.

Reply to
Seth

Well I'm not really sure. I only have the error code and what the Service Bulletin says to do as a reference at this point. Based on the wording of the error messsage, "Insufficient airflow" I would take that to mean the ports and passageways. I guess when I get in there we'll see how hard it is to clean.

Well I went 170k without that service ever being performed. We'll see what condition the valve is in after I attempt to clean it.

Reply to
Seth

That is why I sent the link, you mentioned possibly trying to do it yourself. Our '99 Accord had this done at around 70,000 miles by the dealer's service department.

Reply to
bbtaco

cleaning the valve may help a little, but the core of the problem is the carbon buildup in the manifold, and drilling /is/ the factory solution.

Reply to
jim beam

Before you start drilling, make sure the EGR valve or control unit isn't having problems. Insufficient vacuum or a leaky diaphragm might produce the same code. (I don't know that for sure!)

Basic troubleshooting is straightforward. Get one of those hand vacuum pumps with a vac meter. Insert a 'T' fitting and monitor the the vacuum being provided to the valve while the car is in motion. Then remove the valve and use the pump to pull vac on the unit. Observe its motion, and watch for leaks. Note how much vac is required to lift the valve, and compare to the control box output. The system may not need full lift, but the valve should be at least partially open when the car is running.

Also, check the rate of vacuum application. I chased my tail for several weekends troubleshooting a constricted EGR solenoid passage. The vac would arrive, and the valve would get opened, but not quickly enough to keep the ECU happy.

If all this is working, then start thinking about drilling and reaming....

-Greg

Reply to
Greg Campbell

> This won't do the OP any good. The extended warranty is good for only>> 80,000 miles, but this Accord has 170,000 miles on it.>

Is the procedure essentially the same for a '98 Odyssey EX?

Reply to
Doug B

Woody

Excuse me...

Reply to
Greg Campbell

news.easynews.com!en236!core-easynews!news-in-02.newsfeed.easynews.com!easynews.com!easynews!newsfeed1.dallas1.level3.net!newsfeed2.dallas1.level3.net!news.level3.com!postnews.google.com!news3.google.com!border1.nntp.dca.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!local01.nntp.dca.giganews.com!nntp.comcast.com!news.comcast.com.POSTED!not-for-mail

sv3-0TLogKBW1KYVBdDe4oGyMCuuO+WWnoMz6Ml6bQmFC4nhrbL+wj8TdpgXjBBUAUwzequyXnoX55SYNzG!K1SQXhXO9E3QGpflb2kdvUbp84t3fEbJJ9g6teK3UUzsEe4n7OcDXRXWyoDhvzuq0y1YJnSBZY8f!THvrFyHbyIoJRfM=

rec.autos.makers.honda:357199

Thank you so much!

Reply to
Doug Miller