Replacement tires for Civic Hybrid

The time to buy new tires is drawing near, so I am interested in feedback, input, and general noise about what brands/models I should investigate before our purchase. Our 2004 Civic hybrid currently has Dunlop SP20 FE tires (size 185/70SR14) installed on it from the factory, and they have lasted approximately 35k miles. We probably have another 5k of tread left, so we are not opposed to replacing them with the same model. However, I always like to hear what y'all have to say...so fire away!

Many thanks,

Brian

Reply to
Spazpop2000

Do you need all-season tires?

Reply to
Gordon McGrew

I'd prefer all-season- Georgia doesn't get much snow/ice, but when it does it makes a slippery mess of things for a week or so...

Also, I imagine that all-seasons would have a harder compound (less rolling resistance) than summer tires?

Reply to
Spazpop2000

it seems rolling resistance is not related to hardness. silica rubbers offer better [lower] r/r while maintaining grip. old carbon rubbers had low r/r /or/ grip, not both. look for new "euro" style tires. michelin and continental are big on the silica rubber thing.

Reply to
jim beam

Within a month of getting my 05 civic hybrid, I changed the miserable Bridgestones which came with the car. Whereas with the originals, the antilock brakes came on quite often in wet weather, the Michelins I purchased from my local wholesale club are a big improvement. They handle beautifully, with the added benefit of a 740 treadwear rating. So I'd therefore suggest Michelins (all season).@4ax.com...

Reply to
Theodore Kaplan