replacing a/c compressor, and belt, need help

Hi,

I am changing my a/c compressor myself, and took it out, everything is fine, but the belt. I have no idea where to put it. I stopped at AutoZone, and bought a belt, but it seems like its way to long. It's 15 inches long, but when I look where the belt goes on the pully, it seems like only 8 inches or so.

What confuses me is there is two empty pullys, one is small and about

5/6 inches wide, and the other empty one is on the driver belt, there is the drivers belt, and then one belt is missing. It seems like the belt could not go there, because their isn't enough room because of the car.

I uploaded a picture of it at

thanks so much folks!

Reply to
mopa

you need at least a drive pulley on the engine and the pulley on the compressor. If the compressor can swing on it's mount then it might be used to adjust belt tension. If not then there's a third adjustable pulley to adjust belt tension.

Reply to
JeB

I tried doing it, but I seen no way of putting the belt on the pulley. I don't know whats harder for most people, installing the compressor or installing the belt. The compressor was simple for me, but the belt, is so much harder.

How much do you think someone would charge me to install the Belt? I have the belt, and just need it installed. Hopefully, they won't have to take anything off the car, except for the plastic tray under the car.

I wish there was some place where they showed you how to do stuff yourself, step, by step.

Thanks!

Reply to
mopa

The compressor belt runs on three pulleys: the crank (missing belt #1), the compressor, and the tensioner pully (missing belt #2). You have to a) remove the compressor support arm bush cover where it bolts onto the frame b) remove the outer belt (power steering pump?) c) slack off the tensioner (if that's what it is) Your compressor may hinge to adjust belt tension. d) fit the compressor, then its belt. e) refit the power steering belt, and the compressor support arm bush.

Its probably easier to have a garage do it: I would not pay more than 1 hours labour to fit this. You'll eventually have to take the car to an A/C shop to get the system vacuumed and recharged anyway. They could fit the whole thing. Just be aware that if your car was originally R12 refridgerant, its cheaper to get an R134a upgrade. So the compressor will have to come off and be converted, and have its oil changed to R134a compatible.

Stewart DIBBS

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

the belt closest to the engine is the alternator belt, next out is a/c belt, the p/s belt. it's a civic right? Chip

Reply to
chip

Thanks Chip and Stewart,

Wow, yeah that is a lot of stuff that has to be done. I would figure the compressor would be the hardest thing to install, but its easy to figure out that its not.

Well I had bought some R12, but I guess that cannot be used, even though I bet it would be better because it gets a lot colder right?

The R134A seems fine, but it doesn't get as cold.

I had a shop install the belt and it costed me $119.00

They said I had to pay to remove the one belt as Stewart said, the power steering pump belt, and then the cost of installing the A/C compressor belt, which I already had bought, so there was no parts charge. Even though, the belt costed me like $26.00, because I bought the best one they had at Advanced Auto Parts.

Does $119 sound fair? either way I am finally happy I have A/C. It's so damn hot here in Atlanta, Georgia. It's like 95 now.

Thanks guys!

Reply to
mopa