Replacing battery on 2003 Accord without losing Navi info

Has anyone been able to do this? I need to change the battery on my

2003 Accord and I'd prefer not to lose all the addresses I've entered in the Navigation system. Perhaps I can connect another battery through the power port in the console to maintain power to the system? Thanks for any advice!
Reply to
ventura

Not sure if the 2003 is the same as the 2000 I used to have, but changing the battery on the 2000 did not clear any nav info. You did, however, have to re-enter the security codes on both the radio and the nav and you lost the radio presets.

Reply to
E Meyer

------------------------

_If_ you use the 'cigarette lighter' port, you have the key turned to the Accessory position (or is it position II?), since that one is dead when car is shut off.

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_

Changing the battery will not reset non-volitile memory in the unit but you will need the security code if it has one.

Reply to
Woody

I can't be sure about the navigation system but I have been successful in changing the battery in a number of cars without losing any data, settings etc. by doing this: I connect a 12DC volt power supply to the battery cable terminals--when the cables are removed from the battery,

12 volts DC is still powering the system and nothing is lost.

Ken

ventura wrote:

Reply to
Kenneth J. Harris

Is it an OEM navi system - i.e., it came with the car originally? I would have to believe that there is some sort of short-term memory built in, kind of like a Palm, that allows you a period of time without power without dumping all the data. Your owner's manual may say.

Dan D '07 Ody EX Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll try the ones involving a second

12v battery, either connected directly or through the power port.

To answer the questions -- this is the factory installed navigation system and unfortunately doesn't have a memory protect feature like a Palm. The owner's manual says that any addresses entered by the user will be erased when the battery is disconnected, so the 2003 model must work differently from the 2000 model.

I don't mind entering a security code to reactivate the radio and navigation system after changing the battery (hopefully this has reduced thefts of these items), but losing 50 or 60 addresses is a bit much. Honda needs to rethink this one! Switching to non-volatile memory (like most cell phones) seems like the best solution.

Reply to
metronb5

Update ---

I was successful in doing this by plugging a 12 volt battery into the power port.

Thanks again to everyone for your suggestions.

Reply to
metronb5