Replacing Civic Manual Transmission

I have a 97 Civic with a manual transmission and about 160,000 miles. It's been recommended by a mechanic that I replace the transmission. (Tried replacing the fluid, and the symptomatic noise didn't go away.)
What is the fair cost one should expect to pay for replacing this?
Plinkerton wrote:

Tell us everything about the NOISE. Mechanics sometimes have hidden motives.
'Curly'
Plinkerton wrote:

Performance-wise, the car runs fine. (Accelerates just as fast, downshifts fine)
A noise is noticible in 1st, 2nd, and sometimes in 3rd. (Not at all in 4th or 5th.) Not sure how to describe it. It's kind of like a high pitched grinding. It sounds like one of those gyro-wheeled toy cars that you rev on the ground and let go and they still keep going. The noise is more noticible when I hold the stick. When I let go, it often goes away.

Sounds more like your shifter bushings are worn out.
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/shifter_sketch.jpg
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Are those something that can be replaced easily/inexpensively?
TeGGeR wrote:

About $50 for parts, and lots of crawling around under the car. I have raw photos of the procedure, but haven't got around to writing a page for it. <http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/bushing_kit/ They haven't Photoshopped yet, so they're kinda dark.
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Plinkerton wrote:

yes, but make sure you find a different mechanic that's not trying to rip you off! honda transmissions are usually good for 300k+

"TeGGeR" wrote:

Couldn't it also be input shaft bearing? That makes noise on my ancient Civic and my cure is to turn the radio up a little...
JT