Replacing micro instrument lights with LEDs?

Good afternoon.

I need to replace various micro-sized light bulbs in my radio and CD player (1991 Accord.) The Honda dealer wants about five bucks each for them; these bulbs are tough to source elsewhere.

It occurs to me that they could perhaps be replaced with LEDs. Has anyone else here done that successfully?

Thanks

-Mark

Reply to
Mark G.

Yes, but it v-e-r-y fiddly: you need to work out the correct resistor for each one, and solder much thinner wires to fit the bulb base. Further, the LED light is quite directional, not unidirectional like the bulb. Pay the $5.

SD

Reply to
Stewart DIBBS

Have you tried the electronics suppliers such as

? Eric

Reply to
Eric

"Mark G." wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@bubbleator.drizzle.com:

some of those "grain of wheat" bulbs are the size of a piece of rice and few if any LEDs are that small,and then you have to add a resistor to limit current. red LEDs drop about 1.8v,white LEDs drop ~3.5v,amber LEDs IIRC,~2.2V. Current runs around 15-20ma,MAX.

3mm LEDs -might- fit,*if you have the space*. Also,LEDs emit axially,not radially,so the LED has to stand up,not lay on it's side like lamps are often mounted.

some surface mount LEDs might work,too.

This is definitely a project where you have to know what you're doing.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Check out

jrknorr