Replacing Oxygen Sensors

Greetings,
I have heard that one needs a "special tool" to replace the oxygen sensors. Is this true?
Just wanted to find out before I buy the sensors.
Thanks a lot!

Depending on how little or how much room you have under the hood you might want to get the O2 sensor socket. I have never bought one and I will clip the wire off of the old sensor, use a regular socket to take it out and then a wrench to put the new one in. I also always use a penetrating lubricant before I try to take the old sensor out. I use a product called PB Blaster, it works very well and you can find it at most auto parts stores. Spray on a little several hours before you are going to start and give it another spray two hours before you start. If you do this the sensor should come out very easy if you don't and it has welded itself to the manifold you might not get it out or you might take some threads from the manifold with the sensor.

sensors.
Thanks a million!!
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in wrote:

you can rent a socket at most auto parts stores,and one chain will LOAN you the socket if you buy the sensor there. The socket is cut to allow the wires to pass thru it.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

The "special tool" is a five-dollar socket with a slot down the side for the wire. It's needed when INSTALLING the sensor. When you remove the old one you typically cut the wire off first and use a regular 6-point socket.
Sensor sockets are widely available.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
AutoZone loaned me one. I left a deposit, but it was refunded when the tool was returned.
Get the tool, and some penetrating oil, it will make life much easier.
G-Man

We'll do. Thanks again.