Replacing rear hatch strut (92 Civic Si)

For a '92 Civic Si I need to replace the rear hatch struts and the associated fittings in the glass hatch. (This appears to be not an uncommon problem for that model.)

Specifically, the threads on the strut bolts literally stripped out of the glass hatch strut fittings, and the struts are now firmly wedged in the body. I can't seem to get the struts out (somewhat afraid to try.) Of course, the glass hatch strut fittings are useless having been stripped, and need replacing.

So, if I were to repair them myself, I need to:

1) Find the replacement struts and the glass hatch strut fittings. 2) Somehow remove the wedged in struts without killing myself (my son tried and failed to unloosen the struts) 3) replace the glass hatch strut fittings. 4) install the new struts (do I need a special tool to do this?)

My other option is to bring it into a Honda repair shop and have them do the repairs.

What are your recommendations?

Thanks.

Jon

Reply to
Jon

just buy the parts from hondaautomotiveparts.com, cut off the old stuff and bolt in the new. no special tools. no big deal.

Reply to
jim beam