Replacing rotor+distributor on a 93 Civic

1993 Honda Civic 1.5L auto After reading tegger link , which advise against cranking the engine with the wire or cap removed
rotor have a screw but it is not always in a direction that can beremoved. Is there a bolt location that I can turn the rotor without cranking the engine ? Or can one disconnect the power feed to the distributor (somewhere ?) and then crank the engine to get the proper location of the rotor screw. I am fine with either approach as long as I can get to the screw location. Thank in advance for the advise.
Reply to
momo

Hi, Disconnect battery = no chance of damaging ignition parts. Remove spark plugs = Easy to turn engine with hand.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

-------------------------

You could run a jumper from the silver 'tit' on top of the coil to a suitable ground. The coil is the part that pokes farthest into the distributor cap. Then you could safely spin the engine all you wanted. It doesn't even have to be a large jumper wire. There's no current.

When removing the rotor, use a fairly LARGE Phillips tip, or grind a bit off the tip of the one you have. The tip should be bottomed in the screw and fit snuggly. North American tools rarely fit Japanese screws correctly and you will need all the torque you can get.

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_

that's a function of japanese consistency vs. cheap variable crap that we import and put our names on. that said, klein tools are great domestically manufactured screwdrivers. available in the electrical dept.

Reply to
jim beam

Removing the entire distributor housing requires removing all of three bolts and disconnecting an electrical connector or two. Use a sharpie marker to draw a line from distributor housing to about where it mates against the engine, so as to keep the timing set. (Rotating the housing via loosening the three bolts is how the timing is set.)

"momo" wrote

Reply to
Elle

--------------------------

Last time I changed my rotor I just slipped the distributor off and laid it on top of the air filter (CR-V) so I could get a clean shot at the screw. The connector was too hard to pop apart but there's enough wire on the CR-V. If you take yours off, have a replacement O-ring on hand. They really should be replaced or they will leak.

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_

momo wrote in news:1189131805.483772.228230 @y42g2000hsy.googlegroups.com:

Turn the steering wheel all the way to the left. Peek inside the driver's side wheelwell. See the big rubber plug? Remove that. Now use a 19mm socket, some extensions and a ratchet to turn the engine COUNTERCLOCKWISE until the screw is where you want it. No need to pull spark plugs.

Check to see if you have an Allen key or a Phillips screw in there.

Reply to
Tegger

On Sep 7, 1:51 pm, Tegger wrote: ~snip~

Thank you for all the advise and pointer. Now I feel more confident in trying the work.

Reply to
momo