RFC134a Conversion Kit

I have a 92 accord LX and i am having a trouble with leaking evaporator. It will cost about 600+ bucks to change new evaporator and covert to R134. I saw RFC134a Conversion Kit and RFC134a Stop Leak.If it possible for me to use them to fix my problem.

:(

Reply to
noinah

I would strong suggest not converting to 134a like everyone else says you should. The people at the shop want people to because they can make MONEY off of it. Now I got screwed, and my A/C is never very cold. It's only cold when you have been driving for a while, but when your in sit-and-go traffic it's just very cool/warm air coming out.

Do this work yourself, and keep your R12. Trust me, unless it's not very hot where you live, your want to keep your R12!

take it easy!

mopa

Reply to
Howard

There is no doubt that getting R12 refills is difficult and expensive, but R134a definitely has limitations in an R12 system. I was talking to the head mechanic in our company garage about conversions, and he gave me his semi-expert explanation:

R134a needs a much larger condensor surface area and demands an electric condensor fan (for the same reason). The R134a compressor and expansion valve are also designed differently to match the differences. Since the 92 Accord has an electric condensor fan already, it might be satisfactory. The $1100 conversion and compressor replacement (the compressor had seized) the dealer did on our Volvo was totally professional and was never adequate. It blows maybe 45 degree air on the freeway and maybe 60 degree air while stopped in Phoenix traffic. Ya pays yer money and takes yer chances.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee