RFI - "factory" installation of XM radio

Can anyone tell me if I can get a third-party installation of XM into my new Odyssey? I am talking about one that uses the current radio space, not one of those tuner add-ons. The dealer can do it of course, but at a price of $750. Can a competent car stereo shop handle this?

Reply to
Carl Perretta

Any competent car radio installer can replace your existing radio with an XM-capable one in the same slot. (unless it is integrated with the AC, like the Accord Nav system is) I think Honda radios are Alpines, so depending on your model they may be able to add an Alpine satellite tuner to the factory radio.

They will need to add a tuner box and antenna. You won't see the tuner as it usually is tucked under a seat (the XM channels will be changed from the radio in your dash). The antenna will need to be in a place where it can see the sky, so it will be a visible add-on.

The XM-tuner/antenna will probably run about $100-$150, and the replacement dashboard radio (depending on your features) can run from $100 into the thousands. A $150 radio will be similar in features to the factory one. Labor is maybe $100 as well so overall the third-party price could be as low as $300.

A competent installer should be able to take a look at your car and outline your options.

I had no problem with this add on in my 02 RSX, and 98 Civic.

-MVL

Reply to
mvl_groups_user