road noise on a 1998 CRV

I brought my crv into my mechanic recently to complain about road noise and turning noise. A hard left turn would cause racket.
He test drove my car and said he would look at it. He wound up replacing
the left brake caliper. He said it was falling apart. This corrected the left turn noise but not the road noise.
He blamed the road noise on my tires. He said they still looked in good shape but were in fact 6 years old and subjected each winter to 20 below weather. He said this causes rot in the tire. He showed me spider web cracks running through my tires. He also said this causes excess noise.
Well, he sold me a new set of tires. I was quite dubious. I just took my crv out on the highway and magically that loud road noise is gone. It now makes quiet trips. Maybe this is old hat to others, but it is new to me. I was really worried that the whole four wheel drive mechanism was failing.
Michael

I have a similar problem on a Honda Jazz that has one year, bought in 2009.
I'm thinking about the noise being a result of the tires could not be in the right pressure, I'm not sure.
Best regards, FR