S.U.V's found abandon

I really feel sorry for the miss lead, that bought those big gas guzzlers and S.U.V.'s like the hummer,Tahoe,Escalade, Dodge Ram's, F-150..etc and now are unable to save for their retirements and
childens educations because the families income is being burned in the gas tank. Wait, it won't be long and you will finds these vehicles abandon on the side of the freeway!!!!!!! Sales are beginning to slide. I have a honda CR-V and the prices at the tank are killing me.
Oh yeah, I cannot imagine how people can afford to spend say 70 dollars a week to fill up their big Chevy Truck. At my last job our chevy 2500 pickup took 25 gallons to fill up.
My Civic normally costed me 15 to fill up, now its 25. Damn are government is screwing us over on gas prices, and these high 75 cent a gallon taxes. (im sure they are really more than that)

Americans have a much greater level of disposable income than almost any other western country. At the uk prices of 2 years ago, it would ahve cost you about $55US to fill up your civic. Right now europes over $6 for a US gallon.
Americans just need to get their heads out of their collective arses, stop whining, and live with it. I mean, when you elect an oil president, of course oil prices will rise. Duh. its an utter no brainer. Grow up, get over it, welcome to the real world.
Of course you beleive all the liberal press krap. You sound like a no brainer yourself.

1) top posting is a no-no.
2) very little press in the Us is liberal. It is aminly controlled by a few conglomerates, with heavy political allegences to one or the other of the main parties - this is something clearly evident back in October.
3) am i a liberal? well, if you mean am i a free-thinking person who doesn't let the preconceptions of others contrain me into a narrow thought pattern, then yes, i am. (that IS what liberal means, you know. How the hell americans have come to be convinced, as you obviously are, that free and independant thought is a bad thing, i'll never know.

Exactly what would a non oil president have done differently that would have kept prices lower?
Leonard
Leonard Caillouet wrote:

per barrel, do tax payers really /need/ to be filling the reserve right now???
2. investigate these mysterious refinery "outages" that smack of enron electricity market manipulation.
3. investigate the mysterious rise in the refinery "crack split", the price difference between crude & refined product. traditionally, that's 5%. recently, it's risen to 20%.
3. stop monkeying with/subsidizing ethanol additives. ethanol is the triple whammy - we pay a tax subsidy for production, we pay more at the pump, /AND/ we get crappy gas mileage so we get to buy more of it!!! on top of all that, it's not even necessary to achieve the so-called emissions targets that smoke-screen as justification!!! ethanol is a complete scam.
I think most of those who can afford $35k or more for a monster suv aren't going to care about an extra grand or two a year for gas. If a grand meant that much to them, they would've purchased a 30 mpg vehicle to begin with .
Those people cannot afford SUVs to begin with. Most of them take out 60 month, 72 month, or even 96 month loans to pay for them. Rising gas prices will stretch many to the limit (not that they're not already there anyway), and they will default on their car loans. You overestimate the intelligence of the average consumer.

In the majority of cases, this is indeed true. One of my co-workers has a workout partner at his gym who's a sales manager at a GMC/Pontiac/Buick dealership. He said that roughly 95% of the people that purchase SUVs at that dealership finance anywhere from 95% of the sale price to 120% when they're "upside down" with their trade-ins. The guy said that it just amazes him on a daily basis "how financially f'ed up these people are--yet they're wanting to buy a ~$38,000.00 SUV that gets HORRIBLE gas mileage." He said that there were "a few exceptions where someone will plop down cash for one of these beasts".
Ron M.
T.E.R.M.S............That's the magic word for people with no money in the bank . My dad always told me buy it if you got the money , if you don't have the money don't buy it . Pretty simple actually .