scraping wheel against curb

At least twice in recent months I've been pulling straight forward into a parking space at the curb, I come too close, and my wheel has managed to scrape the cement curb before the tire does!
I didn't know that was even possible.
Does the Honda wheel (on a 2013 Accord EXL) stick out a fraction of an inch more than it should, or are the tires less bulgy than most?
At one point the curb is at least partially at fault, rather than stepping back as it rises a tree root (or truck override or something) had caused the top of a segment of the curb to be a bit further out than the base.
Scrape isn't bad but it isn't good, and it would certainly remove any balance weights I had hanging there (but I don't think I did).
J.
"JRStern" wrote

Mine (the rim edge of the wheel) has done the same thing, and I'm not happy about the scrape. MY question is "What can I do to clean it up and make the wheel look nice again?"
On Mon, 29 Dec 2014 18:25:31 -0500, "Howard Lester"

After a week or so it's dirty grey like the rest and not so noticeable.
You could buff it out carefully to reduce it further, but no real way to make it vanish entirely.
J.
On 12/29/14, 8:55 PM, JRStern wrote:

Yeah, I did the same thing-- the road pitched down into a little gully next to a real high curb in downtown Savannah, GA where I needed to parallel park.
I stopped by one of those OMG high prices wheel shops and asked the guy if he could do anything to repair it. He essentially said man-uo dude and don't worry about it-- it's just a scrape on your wheel!
--
I’m so old I can remember when other people's achievements were
considered to be an inspiration, rather than a grievance.

I just noticed today a Mercedes with scrapes on its nice chrome wheels - on the spokes themselves. I feel so much better now.
J.
On Mon, 29 Dec 2014, JRStern wrote:

I had the same experience in my 2013 Civic LX, several times, but not in any of my prior, non-Honda vehicles. I thought it was just bad luck. Fortunately, I've managed to avoid it (thus far) with my 2014 Civic EX, which has much nicer wheels.

I scraped up a rim on a curb like that. Had a rim repair guy come out and fix it. He buffed the damage out, re-coated the rim and did a real good job of making the damage invisible.
I have the same exact car and I did the same thing to my front right wheel.
What happened to me was a bit more than scratch; I got low tire pressure li ght to come on immediately.
I measured the pressure it was around 22 psi on that tire while the rest of the tires were 30-33 psi. I pumped air, reset the light, but it came back on a week later, with tire pressure down again at 22 psi. I repeated wha t I did before , and that only lasted one more week and the light came back on again. It turned out there was a tiny tiny puncture in the tire, luckil y not on the side but where the tire touches ground. I got it repaired. Now everything is OK.
I can't believe scraping the tire would cause this puncture, I am puzzled t o this day how come light came on right when I scraped my wheel the side wa lk. Perhaps the tire was had the tiny puncture all along. Also minor scratch on aluminum wheel is somewhat bothersome. Anyways I thought I share.