Scratching noises while turning steering wheel

I have recently started to hear scratching noises while turning the steering wheel on my '97 Accord. How critical of a problem is this? If it's just a minor annoyance, then I will hold off on fixing it until the next time I need to take my car in for maintenance.

Reply to
void.no.spam.com

Where are these noises coming from, the steering wheel or outside the car? If the steering wheel, try changing the position of the steering wheel a little higher or lower and see if it makes the problem go away. If its an outside noise, get the front suspension checked out.

Reply to
E Meyer

It is definitely the steering wheel. It is already at the highest position, as I am tall and don't want to lower it and have it touch my legs.

Reply to
void.no.spam.com

I had this problem with steering wheel on one of my cars. As soon as I moved it slightly away from the stopper, the noise stopped. Didn't have to be very far, just enough that it wasn't forced against the stop. Can you lower the seat any to make up for it?

Reply to
E Meyer

I would bet money that it is nothing more serious than the bottom of the steering wheel making contact with the top of the steering column cover. Try a bit of lubricant (Armor All) on the top of the cover.

Reply to
Brian Smith