service guide

Hi All,
Will anyone send me information on a site that will tell me how to change the timing belt on a 89' civic ex, please. It's my daughters car and
I need to get this done before it breaks. Oh, on that note, if it does break will it damage the motor? I also need the name of some site to get parts off-line. Thanks very much for this information.
Bruce B.

Check out the Honda FAQs on this subject at http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/faq.html#engines
In short, yes, the engine will very likely be damaged if the belt breaks. The job is a fairly advanced DIY, but the toughest part is getting the crank bolt loose. Beyond that it is a medium DIY *as long as you are careful about lining up and tensioning the new belt*. Read the FAQs and decide after that. Many of us replace the water pump at the same time, since the work to replace the belt is 90% of the work to replace the pump. In addition, the tensioner(s) may need replacement if the bearings are too dry and rattly.
Mike
This IS NOT an easy maintenance. I'd reccomend you get someone who knows what they are doing, unless you are more than a shade tree mechanic. I'm pretty good, and I do all my maintenance EXCEPT this one. I let the Pros handle it.
Also change the water pump. It's a cheap item, and you are already there when you do the TB. This is standard practice.
A Chiltons manual can be had at any autoparts store for less than $20.
G-Man

Thanks for your quick responses and I will take all your advise. I've done the belt on my old Volvo two or three times and getting the bolt on the harmonic balancer is the hardest part of that too but of course you have to have all the timing marks lind up. Thanks again, I'll use your sorces. Bruce

G-Man, Great advice. I would also NOT attempt such a repair since I have never done it before. Screwing this up this job could cause serious damage. Jason

--
NEWSGROUP SUBSCRIBERS MOTTO