Service manual

OK, like a mensch I read *all* the posts my newsreader allowed.

As the owner (once removed) of a 1997 accord, I'd like to get my hands on the 1400 page OEM service manual.

You know, just to borrow it occasionally.

But suppose that occasionally turns into "often"?

Anyone here recommend something for those economically challenged but not afraid of getting down and dirty?

And again, I have limited intelligence and wherewithal.

-Mr Curious

Reply to
ng_reader

has what is a free Chilton's manual specific to your your car that is pretty good. Some parts are identical to the service manual. I use this resource often.

has a forum specific to this Accord where you can ask questions.

Try

Sometimes what is downloadedis not the most user friendly. You want a manual that covers the 94-97 generation of Accords.

Your library may have something called "AllData" on computer. This reproduces factory service manual procedures.

Reply to
Elle

Thank-you for the library reference. Hadn't thought of that. Alldata is part of Autozone, I think. In any event I did get to one of those forums, or similar, and found the PDF that I was looking for. Do you think somone took the time to copy 1400 pages? I sure hope that had an automatic document feeder, because that certainly not a *real* pdf.

I am looking to working on it. I've already done the plugs, and they could not have been easier. I am thinking of the distributor cap. Not really being a car guy, distributor caps have come and gone, haven't they? Replaced by ... I dunno?

Reply to
ng_reader

For Hondas and some other makes, yes, they have. The 2001 and later Civic all have distributorless systems. Instead of a distributor, each cylinder and its spark plug have a coil pack. Each coil pack sells for about $47. Older Civics' OEM coil and ignitor go for around $200 total.

I use only OEM for ignition parts. Over a decade ago, I tried aftermarket, and the aftermarket ignition parts did not last as long as OEM.

Reply to
Elle

Thanks for the return information. Just trying to get some easy stuff done, found local NJ company partsgeek.com which had the right price, but they have a fairly average-to-bad website/order process.

Should have been the original plugs I pulled, 100k miles. We are talking Accord, but, still the same 16 valve 4banger, isn't it? (1997)

Anyhow the plugs looked fine, but added new ones. Car seemed to idle better.

I am sure lots of parts out there and no shortage of ways to obtain them either.

Do you have a site for Honda OEM parts, for cheep? Cheers again.

Reply to
ng_reader

Ebay's Honda OEM part dealers sometimes have some good package deals. E.g. for timing belt part packages.

I purchased manufacturer specified spark plugs (NGKs, if memory serves, for my 03 Civic) from Amazon recently and was happy with the price. Ebay seems to have good prices for spark plugs, too.

Oxygen sensors are best purchased from Amazon, buying either Denso or NTK. Honda uses only Denso or NTK for their OEM oxygen sensors.

I have found the online Honda OEM parts stores either charge very close to the same price for each part, or else a discrepancy on one part is made up for by a reverse discrepancy on another part. Shipping and handling can sometimes vary a lot. Maybe go with the store with the cheapest s/h. Here are two I have used:

Since about 2003, the number of online Honda OEM parts sites has increased dramatically. In particular many dealerships now offer online parts purchases with "discounted internet pricing." Shipping and handling charges can vary a lot, so shop around. Google using words like {online OEM honda parts [my state]}, and many hits may come up. In December, 2007, my Honda Civic was due for some new ignition wires. I googled using the above keywords and found a great price at a local dealer only five miles away. So no waiting and no paying the shipping cost. The dealer parts department did ask me to bring a printout from its web site of the parts I desire at every visit.

At the bottom of

lists some other OEM online dealers. Maybe consider posting or searching honda-tech.com, too. The "best price" among OEM online dealers does change from year to year.

Enjoy :-)

Reply to
Elle